Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updating application version using Group Policy

Hello,

This is the first time i have tried to use group policies to update an existing application, in this Skype 3.6 to Skype 4.0

Server SBS 2003 - clients XP

I have added the new msi to the group policy management - and it is listed under skype for business install.

On a client pc i rebooted logged in ran skype from the start\programs list - it appeared to install the new version but then nothing. Only skype 3.6 still runs on the client. I ran the msi on my test machine and it upgraded no problem.

Any ideas where i am going wrong?

Skype 4.0 appears in the client control panel add \ remove programs but does not run ?!

Do i need to remove the software installation instruction for Skype 3.6; is this the issue?

Cheers
    Stuart
    Last edited by stuarab; 10th March 2009, 16:17. Reason: additional info\question

Re: Updating application version using Group Policy

Originally posted by stuarab View Post
    Hello,

This is the first time i have tried to use group policies to update an existing application, in this Skype 3.6 to Skype 4.0

Server SBS 2003 - clients XP

I have added the new msi to the group policy management - and it is listed under skype for business install.

On a client pc i rebooted logged in ran skype from the start\programs list - it appeared to install the new version but then nothing. Only skype 3.6 still runs on the client. I ran the msi on my test machine and it upgraded no problem.

Any ideas where i am going wrong?

Skype 4.0 appears in the client control panel add \ remove programs but does not run ?!

Do i need to remove the software installation instruction for Skype 3.6; is this the issue?

Cheers
    Stuart
    Was Skype 3.6 originally rolled out through Group Policy and if so, does the policy still exist?

Is the MSI created by yourself or did it come with the software?

Depending on your answers, you could perhaps create an MSI yourself from you removing the old version and then use the MSI file to roll the software out.

If it was rolled out using a GPO before, you can go into the GPO and add the new MSI to that install list. Off the top of my head, I believe you may remove the existing and then add in the new one. This effectively makes the GPO uninstall the existing version and then roll out the new one.
    Last edited by Virtual; 11th March 2009, 14:57.

Comment

Working...
    X