CD/DVD Drive not reading - Domain wide problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CD/DVD Drive not reading - Domain wide problem

Seems like in the last two months I get the strangest problems.

All machines on our network run either XP SP3 or Vista SP1, this problem seems to affect both OSes from what I can tell.

The problem is you've logged in and decide to toss in a CD or DVD, any type of CD, installation CD for some software, OS CD, CD-R of some sort doesn't matter. When you put in the disk, windows recognizes there is a disk in the drive as the icon changes in My Computer, the autorun does not trigger, you try to open the disk to browse the contents and it looks empty.

If you restart the machine with the CD IN the drive it'll read.

Determining that it's the AV software (AVG 8.0 network edition) has been inconclusive thus far as I uninstalled it from my machine at one point and it did not fix the problem. However, doing so from another machine seemed to have worked.

Is there any policy (I glanced through all the reports of our policies and didn't find anything that affected the CD/DVD drives) or any specific windows update that may have caused this problem?

Again this is domain wide.

Re: CD/DVD Drive not reading - Domain wide problem

On my personal laptop I have uninstalled all AntiVirus.

I have taken myself out of all groups on the domain outside of the Domain Computers group.

I have moved my laptop into a new test OU.

According to the GPMC results my PC gets no user based Group Policies.

I can logon to the local admin account of the machine and the cd drive works.

Comment

Originally posted by Julez View Post
      On my personal laptop I have uninstalled all AntiVirus.

I have taken myself out of all groups on the domain outside of the Domain Computers group.

I have moved my laptop into a new test OU.

According to the GPMC results my PC gets no user based Group Policies.

I can logon to the local admin account of the machine and the cd drive works.
      Start adding it all back on one at a time and hopefully you'll pinpoint the cause.

Comment

Sorry about that, let me clarify my second post a little bit.

The only thing that worked out of any of that was logging on as the local admin, which is unacceptable obviously since I'm not logged on as a domain user.

Once I logged on as a domain user again (with the rest of that uninstalled or disabled etc...) the CD drive was once again would show up as blank or would not read disks.

Comment

and there is no Portable Storage Control software installed on any server ie. GFI Languard PSC or GFI endpoint security.
          Life's a breeze, so spread your wings and fly baby

Comment

We actually found some oddities lately with this issue since we've been trying to figure out the problem.

We have some phone system software called Xarios that starts up with each machine. Oddly enough when the software is disabled the drive can read again.

When uninstalled the drive also reads.

So unless we find a flaw in theory we may have figured out the problem.

Thanks for your help!

Comment

Ok so maybe the nail isn't in the coffin quite yet.

What I mentioned above does happen. However, several machines also seem to work fine with the software installed.

Comment

Working...
              X