Intermittent Connection

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intermittent Connection

I have 1 PC out of 50 that has intermittent connection problems to our gateway. The PC can connect for a short period then begins to timeout. Repair of the IP gives the PC connection again on occasion, but loses connection a minute later. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling TCP/IP stack, but same results. Tried DHCP and Static with same results.

Only PC to experience this on this subnet.

PC>HP Switch>Firewall>Router>Internet

Need help fast!
    Any ideas?

Re: Intermittent Connection

Try another Network Card and/or cables (wall to PC and Patch Panel to Switch)
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for the quick response, but I found a solution.

I did forget to mention that there was also a IP conflict. I ended up giving the machine a static IP and reserving the IP on the DHCP server.

Comment

Well, that would make a "slight" difference
        Sorry, but my crystal ball must have been off when I posted above.
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

If its getting it by DHCP then i'd be wondering why or do you have another machine with that ip statically assigned somewhere???

Comment

That's what is baffling about this whole thing. Nothing is reserved with that IP and I don't see a machine in DHCP with that IP address, although that doesn't mean there isn't a machine with a static IP assigned to it that i don't know about either though.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Have you enabled conflict detection on your DHCP server???

When the conflict happens try and narrow it down by switching off the machine with the conflict and checking for the machine then.

Comment

To tell you the truth I haven't ever heard about that. Where can I find that option at? I've looked around a bit on my DHCP server but couldn't find anything relating to that.

Thanks!

Comment

Try this Link:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc737924.aspx

Comment

Working...
                  X