Cannot start Terminal Services

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot start Terminal Services

I have just rebuilt my pc recently and updated it to SP3. I am runnng XP Pro. for some unknown reason, I cannot get RD working. I looked into it and I find the both Terminal Services and Fast User Switching Compatibility services are not started. I attempt both of them and I get different errors. For Fast User Switching Compatibility is get 'Could not start the Fast User Switching Compatibility service on my Local Computer. Error 1068: the dependency service or group failed to start. For Terminal Services i get "Could nto start the Terminal Services service on local computer. Error 1058: the service cannot be started, either becuase it is disabled or becuase it has no enabled devices associated with it.

I assume all this is from Terminal Services not starting. I woudl appreciate some assistance. thanks

Re: Cannot start Terminal Services

Have you enabled RD on the machine???

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...bleremote.mspx

Comment

Yes, absolutely. to be honest, I have moved through every Microsoft bit of information I could find, plus about 15 google/yahoo forum searchings with no luck, only to rebuild the PC and have it come up straight away. I did not find an answer in this case, but thanks for the reply. Peter

Comment

in the add remove programs > add windows components is terminal services installed?

is the network card enabled ?
        Last edited by J0K3R; 10th March 2009, 04:01.
        Life's a breeze, so spread your wings and fly baby

Comment

Yes, in both cases. Everything was active. As noted, the issue is resolved now, after a rebuild. Thnks.

Comment

ahh ok sweet, i thought you ment the issue came up straight away
            Life's a breeze, so spread your wings and fly baby

Comment

to fix this, go to services.msc -> terminal services -> right click -> properties -> log on tab

there's the hardware profiles on the bottom. for me, I selected the only one listed -- undocked profile -- and clicked enable. This allowed me to start the service. I hope this helps!

I've also added both kelly's fixes to the registry -- fix for fast user switching (34) and fix for terminal services(167). Neither of them fixed the problem as I tested afterwords and I was still unable to start terminal services. However, perhaps they allowed me to enable the hardware profile. I'm not sure what would happen if I reverted to my previous registry and attempted the same above-mentioned process.

reg files are here --> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Comment

Working...
              X