Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

client not receiving updated Group policy.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• client not receiving updated Group policy.

Hi Guys,

I have an XP machine which wont update its group policy. If i run a gpupdate /force the event logs show a sucessfull update however in the userenv.log file I see the following entry:

Local GPO's gpt.ini is not accessible, assuming default state.

I assume this is the problem. this machine is connected to a 2003 domain running in mixed mode.

any help apreciated.

Regards

Re: client not receiving updated Group policy.

Are there any Userenv errors or warnings in the Application Event log?
    Can you connect to a domain controller?
    Can you find a domain controller using nslookup?
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Hi,

Connection to the domain controller must be working as I've performed password resets on the domain account that logs in to that PC and the changes were very timely.

I cant remember if there was any UserEnv errors/warnings. I'll have to connect back in to this PC and have a look. Its at a remote site so is a little more difficult to get on to.

Comment

Hi,

Can you check if you can access any of the policies in \\domain\sysvol\domain\Policies\{blah blah} from the machine?
        Also, when did the problem started to happen, any upgrades to the machine at all?
        The reason I am asking this is that I've seen these errors to happen when let's say a new application is installed or a new driver etc.

Ta
        Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Hi,

The only UserEnv warnings i can find are event 1517

Windows saved user domain\user registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account.

and 1055

Windows cannot determine the computer name. (Access is denied. ). Group Policy processing aborted.

and 1058

Windows cannot access the file gpt.ini for GPO cn={0E1D7F27-B27F-4060-82DB-4C97D7835F25},cn=policies,cn=system,DC=cem,DC=gb,D C=lafarge,DC=net. The file must be present at the location <\\cem.gb.lafarge.net\SysVol\cem.gb.lafarge.net\Po licies\{0E1D7F27-B27F-4060-82DB-4C97D7835F25}\gpt.ini>. (Configuration information could not be read from the domain controller, either because the machine is unavailable, or access has been denied. ). Group Policy processing aborted.

and 1030

Windows cannot query for the list of Group Policy objects. A message that describes the reason for this was previously logged by the policy engine.

I can browse all policy folders from the machine and while there shouldnt have been any updates I cant guatrantee it as this computer in unrestricted. I can also read the GPT.ini file from the computer in the associated GUID shown in the above error messages.

Any ideaS?

Comment

Have a look at this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314494
            Caesar's cipher - 3

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Hi

Thanks for the response.

I have already had a look at that article and the dirsributed file system appears to be on as the key it referrs to does not exist on the XP machine.

I've also checked file and print sharing is enabled on both interfaces.

Comment

You probably have had a look at this then, but just in case you haven't: http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?e...serenv&phase=1

Ta
                Caesar's cipher - 3

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

I've gone through a lot of options on there but nothing has fixed it. I tried the dfsutil stuff to no avail. From what i know this is only happening to one xp machine at this site.

Comment

Working...
                  X