RDP on different port issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RDP on different port issue

In testing using RDP on a different port, I have programmed the router to pass traffic on port 3390 to a local pc address.

On the local pc I have changed the rdp file at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\TerminalServer\WinStations\RDP-Tcp\PortNumber to 3390

When I try to remote in I put the static ip address and :3390 but it still only access the original 3389 box.

Suggestions ?

Re: RDP on different port issue

Never tried to do that but I assume this is the KB you were using
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306759
    Did you bounce the box after the change?

If I want to change the port for RDP then I would only usually do this on the router/firewall so it pointed 3390 (for example) to the local machines 3389.
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

What I am trying to do is be able to remote in to multiple pc's from one static address. I did not have luck with the router change but I may have done something wrong. Everytime I tried to program the router like this:

private ip 192.168.1.100 TCP 3390-3389 RDP

it shows error and said first address must be lower than second address. I thought we were trying to tell it to come in on 3390 and translate to 3389 at that ip address ?

Comment

Okay, update... I was able to solve the issue of not getting in after programming the router to use 3390 to a local address and editing the registry for rdp to listen on port 3390. The problem was with the windows firewall only passing rdp on 3389... had to add exception to windows firewall.

But now you have me very interested in what you were talking about in using the router to translate the outside port to 3389 and thus not having to change the registry and windows firewall ???
        Can you elaborate please, as I had trouble as mentioned before.

Comment

Rather than doing what you are doing I would look into a VPN solution, so you are on the internal network and can RDP to multiple hosts from there. What you are doing will work, but personally I like to keep as few ports as possible open on the edge firewall.
          BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
          sigpic
          Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Thanks for the input, I agree the vpn solution adds another layer of security.
            We have used that for years with vnc and rdp but I was trying to test the router translation process that Andy was talking about. I realize some routers will not allow that function but like the idea of being able to come in on one port and translate to another port, but have not had success as yet with this method.

thanks

Comment

Have you read this article and any of the ones down the page?
              http://www.petri.com/change_terminal...ening_port.htm
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Well thanks Biggles for that link, as it took me about 30 minutes to figure out that is was quite a few ways to do exactly the same thing. It was very well written and had it not been exactly what we already discussed as having complete it would have been extremely helpful. However it did not address the point which was using the router to translate the ports as opposed to all the windows solutions of doing this.

If AndyJG247 is still around anywhere I am interested in that solution.

I appreciate everyone's willingness to share information and offer solutions.
                As I am new to this forum, it is refreshing to see articles well writtten and explained.

Thanks, Rick

Comment

Too many posts to read, sorry for the delay.
                  I can speak from a PIX firewall point of view i.e. you can setup

static (inside,outside) tcp 1.1.1.1 3390 10.0.0.2 3389
                  where connections to 3390 externally are directed to 3389 internally.
                  I don't know your router but I've used the above method for ports 3390,3391,3392 all to 3 different servers on 3389.
                  cheers
                  Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Rick, if you tell us the make and model of your router then we may be able to tell you if it's possible with your equipment.
                    Regards,
                    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
                    X