Deleted userinit.exe

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deleted userinit.exe

This is very simular to http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=1553 but that was a closed thread.

I recently got a series of viruses on my XP, 3 in four days, and I downloaded AVG, it sayed userinit.exe was a trojant so I deleted it in "System Recovery" off of the windows boot disk because that has helped me kill viruses before. so I read your previous post and I downloaded the replacecment file, (from http://www.esnips.com/doc/466c3464-a...e27b8/userinit, are they clean?) the problem is, I don't have a floppy drive, or another OS on my computer, I do have a huge load of linux boot cds but then drive "C:" is read only. I was woundering how to insert this file into windows.

Another Idea I had was to take my system recovery files (where ever they are), and run them in a newly installed copy of XP. Tell me if this would or would not work.

I also deleted scvhost.exe, do I need to replace it?

P.S. I'm pretty savey with a computer (built the computer and installed all the software) so I can take some tech language, I'm just not that savey.

P.S.S. is there a giant manual of all of WINDOWS' files?
    Last edited by JMAN1156; 22nd February 2009, 15:47. Reason: Incompleat information

Re: Deleted userinit.exe

Originally posted by JMAN1156
    so I deleted it in "System Recovery" off of the windows boot disk because that has helped me kill viruses before
    Can someone enlighten me as to what is being refered to here?

Put file onto a bootable USB key/drive, boot from USB and see if that works.
    So let me see if I got this right, you got 3 virii and then downloaded and installed and anti virus program.

For future reference when trying to remove a virus, Turn Off System Restore, boot into Safe Mode and then run the anti virus program.
    When browsing Mr Internet, always be logged on with a User Account and NOT with an Administrator Account.

scvhost.exe and see what it says about deleting it.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I get the impression that the user has booted off an XP CD and used the 'recovery console' to delete the file.

Is that file on the CD as well, so maybe recovery console can be used to copy the file back across.

Also, whilst in the recovery console, I have repaired machines in the past using the following switch.

chkdsk /restore

http://lognot.blogspot.com/2008/08/r...y-console.html

Comment

The reason why I used system recovery is because the last two viruses I had (didn't test the third) were smart enough to reconize safe mode. The files I needed to delete were in use, or I couldn't delete because "Access is Denied".

But you are right, I should have ran the Anti virus in safe mode, but my faith in safe mode was borken...

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
          I get the impression that the user has booted off an XP CD and used the 'recovery console' to delete the file.

Is that file on the CD as well, so maybe recovery console can be used to copy the file back across.

Also, whilst in the recovery console, I have repaired machines in the past using the following switch.

chkdsk /restore

http://lognot.blogspot.com/2008/08/r...y-console.html
          Have you tried the above?

Comment

After you have followed the correct AV procedures to remove the Trojan (sometimes just deleting the file is not enough), you could try to restore any affected windows system files with the SFC /Scannow command.
            See what it says after running SFC.exe and take it from there.
            But As i said it's important to properly get rid of any infection first otherwise you'd end up on a Restore loop.

Ta
            Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

k, I ran another bootable to replace the userinit.exe, it worked. chkdisk /restore on fixes directories (I tried) the next thing I tried was fixboot, also didn't work.

Now I deleted svchost.exe, I wanted to run system restore but it does not work without this file. I can't find a replacement file anywhere, is it specific to a computer? If not, can I get a replacement?

Comment

You can use the recovery console to replace system files.

Comment

actually I copied the svchost from this computer and put it in mine and it didn't work very well. some programms work, but the system restore doesn't, internet doesn't, and after a while it said a background programm failed. how do I fix this without rewriting the OS, (or should I start a new clean slate)
                  Last edited by JMAN1156; 25th February 2009, 02:43.

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
                    You can use the recovery console to replace system files.
                    how exactly do you do that to replace svchost? can you access the files on the cd?

Originally posted by L4ndy View Post
                    After you have followed the correct AV procedures to remove the Trojan (sometimes just deleting the file is not enough), you could try to restore any affected windows system files with the SFC /Scannow command.
                    See what it says after running SFC.exe and take it from there.
                    But As i said it's important to properly get rid of any infection first otherwise you'd end up on a Restore loop.

Ta
                    the problem is that AVG will not run properly because of the screwed up svchost, so what happens if I get in a restore loop, just a restart, or do I get a major f*ck*d computer?
                    Last edited by JMAN1156; 25th February 2009, 02:49.

Comment

If that method has allowed you to copy it across I can't see any problems myself. Is the problem now resolved all together ot are you trying to get system restore to work?

Comment

the svchost didn't work because I think it is for specific computers. I was able to copy it, now I want to fix it. I'm asking if anyone knows how.

Comment

Have you run sfc.exe /scannow ??
                          Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Originally posted by JMAN1156 View Post
                            how exactly do you do that to replace svchost? can you access the files on the cd?
                            That's right.

This may help. Maybe worth a try on an XP machine you can risk it on to first test.
                            http://www.fixya.com/support/t132430...rom_windows_xp
                            Last edited by biggles77; 26th February 2009, 04:58. Reason: Fix quote

Comment

yah I ran sfc scannow, it did nothing. Now actually my motherboard had a falty chip and it fried, so now I'm not really able to do anything.

Comment

Working...
                              X