Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Get list of what windows updates are required

Hi
    Because of the cost of bandwidth, I have "windows updates" on each pc to notify but not download; I download the updates individually and then install them on each of the machines in the house. (And I have some vmware instances as well.) That works fine.

I can see on the screen which updates are required, from the windows updates tray icon. But I can't find a way of getting this into a text list so I can track which ones need installing on which PC. Is this possible? Even by finding out where windows updates in "notify but don't download" stores its info?

Re: Get list of what windows updates are required

Download MBSA and install it on your admin PC. Scan the target computers and get a report on what updates are missing as well as other useful security information.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Thanks for the speedy reply cruachan! Downloading it now.

Comment

Hi,

Why not use WSUS ???

Its great with detailed reported and all this is for Free. and its developed by Microsoft itself.

The WSUS server only installs the updates, and it destributes the needed updates to all clients , you can also set rules , that these set of machines only report what they need , and to not install automatically . and lots of more.

Give it a try.
        Tarek Majdalani
        MS Forefront Edge Security MVP

Comment

Doesn't that require Server 2003/2008 for the server portion? I only have XP. Also it looks like an 80MB download!

Comment

Not ideal but doing a google search identifies that it may be possible.

However, if you have more than 10 PCS, it will not be an effective solution. You are restricted to a maximum of 10 PCs connecting to the PC with WSUS installed.

Comment

It's true that XP is limited to 10 concurrent connections but it's possible for it to service more than 10 computers with WSUS since the update schedules are staggered. But setting this up in a non-domain environment means editing the registry on each workstation.
              Regards,
              Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
              Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
              www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Setup WSUS on XP

http://www.google.com.au/search?sour...tup+WSUS+on+XP
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                  Most of the results either explain installing a client on XP, or complaining that it's not possible to install WSUS server on XP (only SUS, which I understand is superseded). Is that what you were trying to say?

Comment

Originally posted by SecretCode View Post
                    Most of the results either explain installing a client on XP, or complaining that it's not possible to install WSUS server on XP (only SUS, which I understand is superseded). Is that what you were trying to say?
                    Just thought. Your in the Windows 2000 and XP forum. Do you have XP? (ignore this comment, just read that you mentioned XP)

Comment

Yes, but I don't have Server 2003 / 2008 anywhere, and those are required to install the server component.

Comment

Posts below explain that it is possible to install the server component on an XP machine and then workstations need the registry setting so it points to the WSUS server (XP machine being the server)

Comment

Originally posted by SecretCode
                          No, what I was trying to point out was WSUS can be installed in Windows XP as per the easy to follow screenshots provided by a link from the one I posted thanks to . (It was the last link on the first page)

http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/y...p-by-step.aspx

Oh yes, the "at least 6GB free space" they say is required is grossly under stated. Personally I would multiply that by a factor of 10.
                          Last edited by biggles77; 28th February 2009, 17:04.
                          1 1 was a racehorse.
                          2 2 was 1 2.
                          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                          X