X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP Pro Backup & Restore of Data

Hi,

Question about XP Pro SP2 and backup.

I have a laptop running XP Pro, installed and configured SQL Server, MS Front Page, FTP server, Microsoft Office, Adobe Illustator, Access, IIS, Etc. I have a current Backup where I saved all Data and the System State.

I am planning to purchase another laptop, exactly the same and this one, With XP Pro. Can I restore the system state and all programs and data from my backup I have created or do I need to install and configure all these products on my new laptop? Or is there another way to get my programs with all program, network, and security settings over onto the new labtop?

I know I can just go ahead and try it and see if it works. But if somebody has already done this and can pass on there experience it would be very helpful.

Thanks,

Ed

Re: XP Pro Backup & Restore of Data

There is a number of ways that can achieve this but to enable you to take advantage of the new computer's new software and inclusions, you could do the following.

(1) Reinstall the software on the new computer.

(2) Backup SQL server databases and restore to a SQL installation on the new laptop (or just copy the relevant databases but first disable the SQL services). You could even use NTBACKUP to backup the databases location and then restore that folder to the new laptop.

(3) Restore the data you backed up but not system state.

(4) Backup IIS and restore to the new laptop.

(5) Use XPs File and Settings transfer wizard to copy profile settings and data.

In fact, you menton it being the same laptop. If your old laptop is no longer being used, you could put the hard disk drive in to the new computer.

You also could use some sort of imaging software to copy the current hard drive and restore it to the new laptop.

Comment

Thanks for the feed back. I'll look at the XPs File and Settings transfer wizard to copy profile settings and data. Thats the part I wasn't quite sure how to get profile and user setting transfered over.

Ed

Comment

No problem. Glad to help.

Comment

Working...
        X