Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tablet XP with wireless dropping

Has any body come across this before?

On a Tablet PC with Windows XP Tablet. It will connect to the net and then drop connection some time a few hours later and some time 10 minutes later.

I have replaced the wireless for a wireless dongle and replaced the wireless access point. Updated drivers changed the port on the wall to which the wireless access point connects and updated the service packs to service pack 3.

There are other Laptops and tablet PC on the net work running fine which are farther away. I have also change the inscription on the network to WEP 64 bit.

Re: Tablet XP with wireless dropping

Have you looked at the power save setting of the Wireless NIC device driver. Ensure it is set to Full Power, so it doesn't ever power save.

Also, I would recommend using WPAv2 if your Wireless NICs support it. WEP is deemed as unsecure these days.

Comment

Will have a look at the power save setting thanks. The Tablet is old so wont support WPA.

Comment

You may find that the manufacturer has an updated driver that supports it. You never know.

Comment

WPA is supported by Windows XP. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/815485
          If you are pre-SP2 then you need to install the update but since I see you have SP3 it is already supported.

It could be a needle in a haystack as to the reason for the connection dropping but check the event log for errors that coincide with the failure. If the tablet is old it could be that the wireless card is failing.
          Regards,
          Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
          Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
          www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

If you look for an updated wireless driver, hopefully that will suppoty WPA. XP supports it but the wireless driver needs to as well.

Comment

I have had no complaints as yet so the problem seems to me resolved.

I will look at changing the encryption. thanks for all your help

Comment

For future reference, what make and model of Tablet PC?
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

its a fujitsu-siemens. And its a Lexia3 diagnostic pc for citroen cars

Comment

Working...
                  X