Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Join a new domain with same name as old domain

Hi,

I have one site where a new DC was installed, creating a new forest, using the same domain name it has before. The previous domain was used for testing purposes only, and I have only a few Win XP computers that joined the old domain. Now when I try to include the same computers in the new domain I can't do it.
    New computers, users, printers and so on are working well, but some computers can't join the domain. I receive a message as the domain can't be reached. As far as I can understand the problem is on the XP computer, not on our DC's.
    There ius a fix to that or should I reinstall this specific workstations?
    I just want to clarify, there is no network problems, firewall, DNS. There is no messages in the event viewer in both sides. A new computer can join the domain without any problem. I understand the problem is on my workstation, and not on the server. The server is 2003 R2, new install with AD.
    Last edited by danieu; 17th February 2009, 06:03. Reason: Add more details

Re: Join a new domain with same name as old domain

So are the old computers currently in a workgroup? If not, dmeote them first of all by using local administrator credentials for the workstation.

You could also rename the computer subtly and then restart the computer and then try to join the domain.

The issue will probably be to do with the computer's SID. If the above fails, download this and use sysprep. This will strip the SID off the machine and when you run through the setup screen, it will create a unique one and you can then join to the domain.

Comment

Also make sure that all of the computers are pointing to the new DC for DNS - the best way to do this is to use DHCP to assign IP addresses.
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I was off a few days, so it tooked to much time to check.
        The computers was already on a workgroup, I did this locally on each machine. I did renamed the computer, but it was something in the registry forbidden me to connect to a new domain with the same name as the old one. Some encryption or something.
        Now, this sysprep tool was great and solved the problem.

Thank's

Daniel

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. Glad we were able to resolve the issue for you.

Comment

Working...
          X