Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 2000 Pro - Not Booting

Hi,

I have a quick question about a Windows 2000 Pro installation as I am having a bit of a memory block.

Basically we have got a Windows 2000 Pro machine on a PC that is nearly at the end of its life, but runs some fairly essentials scripts and tasks.

We have ghosted said PC and I have restored the image onto a DL380 G4 which is running RAID 5.

But when I start it up I get the inaccessible boot device message, which is what I expect as you need to change some drivers before it will boot.

The thing I cannot remember is which drivers I need to change :

I thought it was the following three :

atapi.sys
    intelide.sys
    pciidex.sys

And I thought they needed to be replaced with the cpqcissm.dll (so basically would put 3 copies of cpqcissm.dll and name them as per the 3 drivers above), but I cannot get it to boot.

Can anyone advise what I am doing wrong this time, I have got this to work before but was ages ago.

Thanks

Paul

Re: Windows 2000 Pro - Not Booting

The issue could be to do with HAL. I believe it is set when software is installed on a PC and ties it to the hardware of the machine.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardware_abstraction_layer

You could try reimaging the DL 380 G4, very good choice of Server by the way, using it's recovery disks and then maybe try virualising the old OS system. There are programs that allow you to take an existing PC and create a VHD from it. You can then use something like Microsoft Virtual Server to open it.

Comment

It'll be the RAID driver causing it all right, I would assume that the PC you took the Ghost Image from was non-RAID?

I don't know of any way to dynamically add a RAID driver to Windows 2000, so that limits your choices to installing the Ghost Image on to a machine that doesn't have RAID or using Virtual's suggestion of installing the image into a virtual machine.
      BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
      sigpic
      Cruachan's Blog

Comment

yeah it was a non-raid pc.

i booted into an ERD disc to add the driver files and give them the names of the old drivers, but to no avail.

any ideas other then virtual?

Comment

Reported for move to Client OS forum
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

what does that mean?

Comment

It is a workstation OS (2000 pro) you have a problem with rather than a server product. If this thread disappears from the Windows 2000 server and 2003 server listing, look for it at this one.

http://forums.petri.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                yeah it was a non-raid pc.

i booted into an ERD disc to add the driver files and give them the names of the old drivers, but to no avail.

any ideas other then virtual?
                Only really 2 options, convert the server to non-RAID so the OS will recognise the hard drives or use another PC that doesn't have RAID.

Failing that install 2K Pro on the server with the RAID drivers slipstreamed, add a drive in with the Ghost Image and copy the relevant files/directories across to the clean install. This may not work depending on what you're running - registry entries etc may end up missing.
                BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                sigpic
                Cruachan's Blog

Comment

This might work: Put a Win 2000 installation CD in the server, press F6, provide it with the correct RAID drivers and then perform a repair installation. Worth a try I suppose. I also think you can install a new HAL by pressing F5 early in the setup CD screens.
                  Wesley David
                  LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
                  -------------------------------
                  Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
                  Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
                  Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
                  Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Working...
                  X