Video Card help in XP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video Card help in XP

I recently converted one of my Dell Poweredge servers into a beefy XP Pro machine and now I would like to find a decent video card that will run but I am having a problem finding one that matches the MB specs
    SLOT_5 - PCI 32-bit, 33-MHz (5-V)
    SLOT_4 - PCI-X 64-bit, 133-MHz (3.3-V)
    SLOT_3 - PCI-X 64-bit, 133-MHz (3.3-V)
    SLOT_2 - x1 lane width PCI-Express
    SLOT_1 - x8 lane width PCI-Express

I know the PCI Express 16 doesn't fit and I haven't been able to find any X8 cards. Can anyone suggest where to buy a PCI Xpress x8 or would you recommend going the old PCI route and if so what kind of card would one recommend? No gaming will be involved but I will be doing Photo editing but nothing related to Video or gaming

Thanks

Re: Video Card help in XP

Have you thought about a X8 to X16 adapter? http://www.orbitmicro.com/global/pci...ter-p-755.html
    You'll still be limited to the X8 bus speed but it might be more cost efficent maybe.

Ta
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

very cool I did not know about that

Thank you

Comment

Ditto. Keep in mind that with an adapter like that, the card will sit higher than it would usually. This means that you will not be able to screw it in to secure it (minor), but if the face of the card has a connector high up it may mean you can't use that card at all. Depending on the model of server you may be able to take a dremmel to the case (wear your 'I Void Warranties' shirt for this step) to fix it. A 2900 would be fine for that, probably not something like a 2950 though.
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

it is a poweredge 840 so I think it would fit

Comment

Working...
          X