Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why to delete temp files?

[This may be a silly question thought; I want to understand how it works]

Few of the people are suggesting to delete temp files to make my system faster. Will deleting temp files adds any value to system performance? I am not seeing any benefit other than gaining few MBs of space. There might be some serious reason behind this suggestion, I wanted to understand that. Also I want to know where these temp files will be used. If there is no use, why they are not getting deleted automatically?

Thanks,

Re: Why to delete temp files?

Originally posted by charlsteve View Post
    If there is no use, why they are not getting deleted automatically?
    That's a good question.
    AFAIK Temp files are used by different applications in different ways.
    Probably Process Explorer will give you a better idea of who uses what.
    What I would suggest though is to only perform any manual deletion of the temp foldera and files after a graceful reboot.

Cheers
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

I think the idea was that applications that parse the temp directory may slow down a little if there are loads of files in there. Maybe also the affect fragmentation?
      I would agree with L4ndy here though, make sure you reboot before cleaning as there may be some required ones especially if you have been installing software or using the machine for a long period.
      cheers
      Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

In theory cleaning up your temporary files can make applications that parse them improve in speed and can also lower file fragmentation.

In practice, though you probably won't notice any difference in performance (unless your low on drive space) unless you actually perform a defrag with it. There are plenty of people out there that will say whilst it is good practice to clean temp files for privacy and space reasons the performance benefits are negligible.

IMO with today's hard drives, defragmentation doesn't help that much until your drive has little free space - and even then your looking at needing a better defrag tool than the windows one to see the best increase in performace. Also remember if your using an SSD (solid state drive) you should not be defragmenting your hard drive at all (it doesn't need it) and should turn off auto defragmenting in the background

Comment

Working...
        X