Remove Dual Windows Bootup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remove Dual Windows Bootup

Does any know how to remove one of two dual Windows Boot ups? I have been given an older PC that offers the choice of using Windows 2000 or XP Home on startup. But the XP fails to provide the best screen display probably because only the 2000 has the correct drivers installed.

Can someone please explain how I might remove the XP option and delete it all reclaim the space on the small 30 Gig drive

Thanks Gordon

Re: Dual Windows Bootup

Hi,

Each installed on a different disk or partition right ?

Then format the partition that has the Windows Xp, and then in Windows 2000, show hidden operating system protected file ( tools > folder option > view ) and go to C:\boot.ini and remove the Windows XP line.

Read this for details : How to edit the Boot.ini file in Windows 2000
    Tarek Majdalani
    MS Forefront Edge Security MVP

Comment

Remember that you'll also still have the XP boot sector. While this should not cause any problems, if you want it back to "Native" Windows 2000, you can install and boot into the Windows 2000 Recovery Console and use the "FIXMBR" command to reset the Master Boot Record to a clean W2k one.

Tom
      For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Thanks very much guys

Gordon

Comment

Why not boot into 2000, find out the name of the video driver and then get a copy of the windows XP version?
          cheers
          Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Gordon, what has this got to do with Office 2003?
            Moved to client OS forum
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: Remove Dual Windows Bootup

Thanks I always get in a muddle with the correct sections.

Actually after trying several times to install my legal copy of XP and overwrite / remove 2000 I have given it up to pass onto others more knowledgeable than me In fact both versions of Windows have had to be installed on the same single partition, against the advice of MS, because stupid Windows setup refused to allow me to create an additional partition. I could have reformatted the whole drive, and during one attempt at installing XP, I did see options to appear to reformat but did not see it again. I tried to use RUN Format C: then received a warning I would need to Dismount, whatever that means in simple English. But when I pressed Y nothing happened. Wonderful Windows.

I have since come across Freeware claiming or wipe the whole drive, but there are other problems of No sound or the option to show the sound icon on the toobar, and the display is stuck on 8 bit only.

Gordon

Comment

Did you not boot off the XP CD and then Delete the Partition(s) and the Create a new one to install XP onto?

I do not understand where the RUN Format C: comes from and why you are actually using it.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thanks B. When I tried to create a new partition to install XP if refused to allow it, so presumably it would have been unwise to delete the existing single partition.

In the old days of Win 3.1 / 95 / 98 one was allowed to use Format such as under DOS as a sure way of removing all existing data. But MS in their wisdom have turned the clock back so that you cannot even acccess drives of more tha a few gig under DOS let alone re-format them.

The sensible way to setup any version of Windows to me seems to be to first ask if you want to re-format a drive or add remove any partitons, But MS prgrammers do not seem to have that sort of intelligence !!

Gordon

Comment

Originally posted by GordonSweet View Post
                    Thanks B. When I tried to create a new partition to install XP if refused to allow it, so presumably it would have been unwise to delete the existing single partition.
                    How big was the partition you tried to create? Maybe there wasn't enough space on the disk - Windows requires a partition of a certain size.

But MS in their wisdom have turned the clock back so that you cannot even acccess drives of more tha a few gig under DOS let alone re-format them.
                    DOS or the command prompt? From the command prompt you can format drives up to the size limit imposed by the filesystem. You can't format the system drive while the system is running for obvious reasons.

The sensible way to setup any version of Windows to me seems to be to first ask if you want to re-format a drive or add remove any partitons, But MS prgrammers do not seem to have that sort of intelligence
                    That *is* the first step of Windows installation. For both 2000 and XP.
                    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Thanks for your interest

I could not get as far as inserting a partition size, as it refused to allow me to create ANY new partition. Perhaps the problem is the existing partition was created by someone without using Windows but other software such as believe there was Partition Magic,

When I tried to activate Format C: using RUN under START it asked me if I wanted to DISMOUNT. What did that mean? I did not try to run format under DOS. Could I have used the command Prompt, or would I needed to reboot into DOS using F8?

I was only ever offered the chance to re-format once, never again on other attempts to re-install XP.

However the main reason why I have abandoned the upgrade if no sound is available or the option to insert the sound icon on the toolbar and the Display is stuck on 8 bit.

Gordon

Comment

When I tried to activate Format C: using RUN under START it asked me if I wanted to DISMOUNT. What did that mean? I did not try to run format under DOS. Could I have used the command Prompt, or would I needed to reboot into DOS using F8?
                        F8 does not boot into DOS, the option you are referring to is the command prompt. It is still Windows.

Again, for obvious reasons you cannot format the system drive while the system is running.

I could not get as far as inserting a partition size, as it refused to allow me to create ANY new partition. Perhaps the problem is the existing partition was created by someone without using Windows but other software such as believe there was Partition Magic
                        You probably couldn't create a new partition because there is no space available for one. How much space is shown as 'unpartitioned'?

I was only ever offered the chance to re-format once, never again on other attempts to re-install XP.
                        During the XP installation, you will see a blue screen that lists the hard drives in your system, along with the partitions on those drives. Select the partition you want to install to, press Enter and it will give you the option to format it.

However the main reason why I have abandoned the upgrade if no sound is available or the option to insert the sound icon on the toolbar and the Display is stuck on 8 bit.
                        You need to install the drivers for the sound and graphics hardware.
                        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Working...
                        X