win xp home sp 2 password and domain name error

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• win xp home sp 2 password and domain name error

error: this system cannot log you on.Make sure the user name and domain name are the same. I am trying to help a friend,but
    I am stumped on this one. I wonder whether your password reset utility would help him start over. He has a third hand computer, and when he opens the start up page, does not sign in, and it has worked fine. He decided to change the name and add a password. Tried to put in old user name w/o password, and now he is locked out at the log in screen. Appreciate any help.
    Regards,
    vidman64

Re: win xp home sp 2 password and domain name error

Originally posted by vidman64 View Post
    He decided to change the name and add a password. Tried to put in old user name w/o password, and now he is locked out at the log in screen.
    Has he tried the new username and password then?
    How did he change them?
    Resetting the password is an option certainly.
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Andy, thanks for your advice. Yes, he did try his new password, only in the login screen, as he cannot get any further. So what I am hearing from you, if he purchsed the password reset utility, that, of course, would reset his password, but then he would have to re do his domain. How would he do that, as I have no experience in changing the domain name.
      Regards,
      vidman64

Comment

XP Home cannot be a domain member.
        If we're talking about Workgroups, they are totally independent of the user account and passwords
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Ok, so now that we know it is windows xp home, why did the error ask for a domain name, not workgroup?
          Regards,
          vidamn64

Comment

You said it was XP home in your thread title. I suggest you confirm that
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Yes, it is win xp home. We finally, thanks to all of your counselling, have fixed it. Now we are working on setting him up as administrator, which I know how to do. Therefore, I thank you all once again for your assistance, and look forward to further interaction.
              Cheers,
              Vidman64

Comment

Originally posted by vidman64 View Post
                Ok, so now that we know it is windows xp home, why did the error ask for a domain name, not workgroup?
                Regards,
                vidamn64
                Because (a) you don't log into Workgroups, and (b) it's a standard error message across the Windows product range.

Tom
                For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

If you're in a workgroup, the "domain" is that computer.
                  Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Working...
                  X