Cannot see my removable drive in My Computer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot see my removable drive in My Computer

I installed an external hard drive (SimpleTech), but when I clicked on My Computer I cannot see the drive. When I am going to Administrative Tools, Computer Management I see the drive and I can work on the drive.
    The drive is connected to the computer via Firewire and I donít see any conflict on Device Manager. My operation system is Windows XP PRO.

What drive letter has it been assigned? Try changing it to Y.
    Do you have any mapped drives?
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Like Biggles said, assign the drive another letter. This is a very common issue with removable drives, they frequently will attempt to use a drive letter that is already in use. When this occurs you're not informed however, the drive is installed but does not become functional until the drive letter contention is resolved.
      Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

I did change the Drive Letter

Well I did it twice from H to P and from P to Y but got the same results. The drive is functioning OK I created a shortcut to access it but still cannot see it on My Computer.

Comment

OK, here is how I was able to correct the problem:

Download and install TweakUI for Windows XP from the Microsoft website. In TweakUI, click the box next to "My Computer" on the list on the left side of the window. Then click "Drives". Make sure there is a checkmark in the box next to the drive letter you have assigned to the external drive.

Comment

Cool, glad you got it working.
            Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
            X