No announcement yet.

remote desktop connection

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• remote desktop connection

i tried remote desktop connection at my home nerwork and it was successful. but when i tried to connect my friend's computer at different network ( different location) it fails.
    My friend's computer running win xp prof. and he created a user acccount for me , and enable allow access through remote tab.
    just wondring is there something special configuration that we have to follow to connect computer at different network through remote desktop connection.

Re: remote desktop connection

Is your friend behind a firewall? If so you'll need to port forward port 3389 from your friend's firewall to your friends computer. Are you familiar with the concept of port forwarding? Check out the articles reaped by this Google search for more information.

You might want to look into something called CrossLoop. At first look it seems like some kind of for-pay service. However, the CrossLoop application itself can be installed and used for free to remote control other people's computers at their request. Other remote control utilities abound and Google is waiting to show them to you.
    Wesley David
    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
    Blog: || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow:

For a bit more security I normally change the default port of 3389 to something else, it's very easy, just a quick registry setting change.

WinXP & Vista:
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\TerminalServer\WinStations\RDP-Tcp\PortNumber

Change the port number to something thats not in use.
      Change port forwarding rule in the router/firewall.
      Connect to the PC using RDP, add the port number to the IP address of the computer that you want to connect to, ie

Job done!
      If the information you receive helps please let us know and leave reputation points where appropriate.

The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do. - Ted Nelson

Not a real good idea to suggest Registry editing to somone who has what appears to be limited experience with networking. Also a simple port scan can fairly easily detect the changed port.

n4networking, if you do decide to edit the Registry, make sure you make a backup BEFORE you attempt the edit.
        Departed: 23rd December 2015

Thankx all for your valuable time and replies , will try your suggestions and get back to you soon.........

have you tried using LogMeIn Free? I prefer using that instead of Remote Desktop. I'm assuming your friend's computer has a dynamic IP, which will always change so you'd have to know the IP before you attempt to log into his/her machine. With LogMeIn Free you don't have to worry about any of the additional crap (port forward, firewall issues, IP address, etc). Just install it on the machine you want to log into and you can access it at any time as long as the machine is powered up.

Give it a shot. It's the best solution for me.