DHCP won't renew ip to Dad's PC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DHCP won't renew ip to Dad's PC

Ok so, I'm working on my Dad's XP Home Dell cheap ass PC.
    Internet via Verizon DSL with very old Westell B90.

I brought my own laptop I just plugged my cable into DSL after removing Dad's cable.
    Laptop was instantly connected. Did my email etc.

Now to the problem:
    Changed cable so I could update Dad's PC. No joy. No IP!
    Did a ipconfig /release and /renew No Joy
    Pulled DC power from DSL modem No joy

I tested cable by plugging it back into my laptop. Worked fine.

I've done a netsh reset of IP stack still no joy.

My suspicion is is that Verizon DSL pushed a new IP lease to my laptop and picked up laptop MAC address and now won't release and find a different MAC address.

Any ideas?

Re: DHCP won't renew ip to Dad's PC

So there's no switch between the DSL modem and the PCs? That might be your first task. Dinky 4 port switches are cheap, but I digress. Is the modem in RFC 1483 "bridge mode" or is it NATing? The IP lease shouldn't be an issue if it's NATing.
    Wesley David
    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
    -------------------------------
    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Re: DHCP won't renew ip to Dad's PC

Plug in/connect your other machine and then power cycle (turn power off and then back on after a 10 second pause) your modem.

Originally posted by kentek
      My suspicion is is that Verizon DSL pushed a new IP lease to my laptop and picked up laptop MAC address and now won't release and find a different MAC address.
      To overcome this limitation, if it is indeed the case, purchase a Router (with an inbuilt switch is best) and connect the Modem to the WAN port. Power cycle modem and then once the router has been configured you should be able to run multiple PCs from that connection.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
      X