Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAID a buch of questions

Hi all!

Well a while ago I decided to put some of my disks in RAID, since my motherboard doesn't not support it I have to do it with software. Now the thing is there are a bunch of raids and i just cant decide which one is better for me, RAID0 sound like something I would like to use but the sheer thought of "if one disk fails data will be lost on all of them" scares me, then RAID 1 mirroring, well I don't need a real-time backup solution I just wanna join up some disks to share space nothing else. I don't know about other raids so could you please tell me what the others are about. Please note that if a simple solution with "Power-Quest Partition Magic" is possible (to point out the obvious I wanna do this without formatting my drives) let me know ASAP . Anyways do you even recommend RAID? Now I have 9 HDD's in my computer (3 ATA + 1 SATA on the motherboard and the others are plugged via a PCI RAID controller - khm you might think, dude use this it has something to use RAID it has RAID in it's name. Well sorry to disappoint the only thing this raid has is a .inf file that installs the drivers and that's it folks!) and 3 USB drives and well the horror of opening up "My Computer" is nothing short of scary.

Anyways your experience with raid, tutorial links anything is appreciated.

Tnx in advanced,
    shorto

Re: RAID a buch of questions

Will this help?
    http://www.intel.com/support/motherb.../cs-010763.htm
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

What is your goal for setting up RAID?
      Marcel
      Technical Consultant
      Netherlands
      http://www.phetios.com
      http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
      "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
      "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by shorto View Post
        Hi all!
        Well a while ago I decided to put some of my disks in RAID, since my motherboard doesn't not support it I have to do it with software.
        Software RAID is a bad idea, if only for the reason that it will slow your PC down.
        Now the thing is there are a bunch of raids and i just cant decide which one is better for me, RAID0 sound like something I would like to use but the sheer thought of "if one disk fails data will be lost on all of them" scares me
        And so it should. RAID1 in my experience is only used where fast throughput is required, ie video capture and only as data storage.
        RAID 1 mirroring, well I don't need a real-time backup solution I just wanna join up some disks to share space nothing else.
        RAID1 or any other implementaion for that matter has nothing to do with backup, RAID - R stands for Redundant, you'll notice the is no letter B!
        I don't know about other raids so could you please tell me what the others are about.
        See this http://www.lascon.co.uk/d008005.htm and this http://www.acnc.com/04_01_00.html for more information about RAID.
        Please note that if a simple solution with "Power-Quest Partition Magic" is possible (to point out the obvious I wanna do this without formatting my drives) let me know ASAP . Anyways do you even recommend RAID? Now I have 9 HDD's in my computer (3 ATA + 1 SATA on the motherboard and the others are plugged via a PCI RAID controller - khm you might think, dude use this it has something to use RAID it has RAID in it's name. Well sorry to disappoint the only thing this raid has is a .inf file that installs the drivers and that's it folks!) and 3 USB drives and well the horror of opening up "My Computer" is nothing short of scary.
        The easiest way to implement RAID on existing disks is to backup the data, create the desired RAID configuration and then restore the data. I doubt very much that the RAID controller that you own will allow you to create and expand different RAID configurations on the fly.
        If the information you receive helps please let us know and leave reputation points where appropriate.

The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do. - Ted Nelson

Comment

I doubt very much that the RAID controller that you own will allow you to create and expand different RAID configurations on the fly.
          Even if it does I would never attempt to dynamically reconfigure an array on a critical system. It's what we used to call in my old job tickling the testicles of fate to attempt it.

I have no idea how RAID 0 came to be called RAID, because as others have montioned there is no redundancy. We always recommend RAID 1 minimum, RAID 5 preferred to our customers.
          BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
          sigpic
          Cruachan's Blog

Comment

RAID5 is probably your way forward,

33% disk space wastage in return for redundancy - you'll need a minimum of three drives, if your RAID controller supports it set ALL the drives on it into a RAID5 Configuration (PLEASE BACK UP ALL DATA TO ANOTHER MEDIUM FIRST!!!). This will give you one Logical disk.

Secondly the onboard sata/pata controllers probably dont support raid config. so your stuck with using sw RAID really, but tbh the speed of CPU's nowdays you wont really notice much of a perfomance difference - unless you do a LOT of I/O intensive work. I run software RAID5 at home on my 2003 test box, dont have any problems with it (3Ghz HT w/2GB RAM plus two VM's running on it)

Martin

Comment

Coming back to your original post about the "RAID" controller
              Look at the boot process -- normally you will see a line "WhateverBrandItIs RAID CONTROLLER" and then "Press CTRL+F4 to configure" (obviously it may be a different key combination

You then create your arrays at the BIOS level
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
              X