Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to recognise a XP-SP2 Streamed Install CD ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How to recognise a XP-SP2 Streamed Install CD ?

    Is there any way to know whether an XP Installation CD has already been streamed with SP2 before actually using it ?

  • #2
    Re: How to recognise a XP-SP2 Streamed Install CD ?

    If it's Microsoft or OEM media it should say on the disk. And if it isn't one of those 2 you probably shouldn't be using it.

    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: How to recognise a XP-SP2 Streamed Install CD ?

      Originally posted by cruachan View Post
      If it's Microsoft or OEM media it should say on the disk. And if it isn't one of those 2 you probably shouldn't be using it.
      No, I disagree. I have an original disk at home which does NOT contain SP2. I have created a second disk which DOES have SP2 using the standard slipstreaming process - I am still perfectly legal because I have a licence to use Windows XP.

      @thenoo -

      The only way I can think of is by checking file versions... which means right-click, properties. Find a file which you KNOW is updated by SP2, right click it and get its properties, go to the "Version" tab and it should have the SP2 version on the SP2 disk.

      The other way is, create a NEW disk with SP2 slipstreamed into it, and put a flag-file on the root that you will recognise (i.e. an empty file simply called "SP2").


      Tom
      For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

      Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: How to recognise a XP-SP2 Streamed Install CD ?

        No, I disagree. I have an original disk at home which does NOT contain SP2. I have created a second disk which DOES have SP2 using the standard slipstreaming process - I am still perfectly legal because I have a licence to use Windows XP.
        Yes, that is a valid third option but I think we can rule that out in this case as the original poster doesn't know what the disk is.
        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: How to recognise a XP-SP2 Streamed Install CD ?

          Nevertheless it is perfectly acceptable to have as many XP install disks as you like; it becomes illegal when you use (i.e. install) more disks than you have licences for. I could have 40 different flavours of Windows XP disk sat right next to me; as long as I only install it once (and I don't give any of the disks to anyone else) I have only used one licence and am 100% legal.


          Tom
          For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

          Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: How to recognise a XP-SP2 Streamed Install CD ?

            Just to clarify, when you say flavors I'm assuming you mean various SP builds of the same edition and not different editions. An XP Home license is not valid for installing XP Pro. I'm assuming that's not what you meant.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: How to recognise a XP-SP2 Streamed Install CD ?

              Originally posted by cruachan View Post
              Yes, that is a valid third option but I think we can rule that out in this case as the original poster doesn't know what the disk is.
              As the O.P. perhaps I should clear up any misunderstandings which may have arisen as a result of the insufficiently clearly expressed reasons which prompted my post.
              As Stonelaughter states , I also have the original XP Pro Disk , ( without SP2 ) which is legally acquired . I also created a XP Pro - SP2 Slipstreamed copy . This copy was made some considerable time ago and never actually used so , as far as I remember , I never really tested its effectiveness.

              Recently I was reading an article which described a procedure of installing the Microsoft Recovery Console onto the hard drive which requires the use of a slipstreamed SP2 disk to effect this procedure.

              Using this sliptreamed SP2 copy disk , I got an error message when trying to instal the Recovery Console and , since it was some time since I'd created this disk , I was wondering whether it would be possible to ascertain whether the disk contained SP2 or not by looking at its contents.

              The reason for the error message which I mention here is irrelevant to this post and I may discuss that in a later post under a different heading.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: How to recognise a XP-SP2 Streamed Install CD ?

                Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
                Just to clarify, when you say flavors I'm assuming you mean various SP builds of the same edition and not different editions. An XP Home license is not valid for installing XP Pro. I'm assuming that's not what you meant.
                Correct - I meant different build levels of the same OS, not different OSes!!


                Tom
                For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

                Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: How to recognise a XP-SP2 Streamed Install CD ?

                  Originally posted by thenoo View Post
                  As the O.P. perhaps I should clear up any misunderstandings which may have arisen as a result of the insufficiently clearly expressed reasons which prompted my post.
                  As Stonelaughter states , I also have the original XP Pro Disk , ( without SP2 ) which is legally acquired . I also created a XP Pro - SP2 Slipstreamed copy . This copy was made some considerable time ago and never actually used so , as far as I remember , I never really tested its effectiveness.

                  Recently I was reading an article which described a procedure of installing the Microsoft Recovery Console onto the hard drive which requires the use of a slipstreamed SP2 disk to effect this procedure.

                  Using this sliptreamed SP2 copy disk , I got an error message when trying to instal the Recovery Console and , since it was some time since I'd created this disk , I was wondering whether it would be possible to ascertain whether the disk contained SP2 or not by looking at its contents.

                  The reason for the error message which I mention here is irrelevant to this post and I may discuss that in a later post under a different heading.
                  So as per my assertions, you're perfectly legal. I reckon the best way is to trash the old disk (which may be damaged) and make a new one. I know it's fiddly but at least you'll know for sure.


                  Tom
                  For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

                  Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: How to recognise a XP-SP2 Streamed Install CD ?

                    Originally posted by thenoo View Post
                    Is there any way to know whether an XP Installation CD has already been streamed with SP2 before actually using it ?
                    Yes, it will have SP2 either printed on the CD or as Stonelaughter said you can check the file properties on the CD.

                    If you want to slipstream a SP onto your own XP disk, then you can either follow the instructions here http://www.petri.com/windows_xp_sp_slipstreaming.htm or download nLite ( it ) and use it.
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X