Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows XP Dell D430 start-up delay

HI TYIA for any help you can provide me,

I have a Dell Latitude D430 running Windows XP Pro with SP3 and all windows updates. My problem is that when you start the laptop and log in, there is a delay of 4-5 minutes before you can use either the internet or outlook (In the process of troubleshooting, mostly everything else has been removed). However if you Leave the computer for 5-10 minutes at the login screen and login, all work perfectly fine straight away on login. There are 0 errors (Red or Yellow) in the event viewer (both system and application event logs) now.

Does anyone have any idea:

Whats going wrong with this?

or

How can you track whats waiting/timing out and stopping network traffic?

I have Mcaffee ePO client on this machine which could be an issue but in hessitant to remvoe it for testing at the moment as its the weekend and I dont have console access at the moment to redeploy the software, though this can be done on monday morning before the user arrives, it wouldn't tell you whats causing the AV to have problems (if it is even this).

TIA for your help
    Dave

Re: Windows XP Dell D430 start-up delay

So the browser or Outlook will load, but do not have connectivity?

While you wait, check a few things - does the machine have an IP address, can you ping anything (either local or on the internet)? Use Wireshark to see what's going on on the network.

Test it with McAfee fully removed - that is the only way to eliminate it as a problem.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I'll remove ePO now to eliminate it,and installing wireshark......I'll let you know the results of that but in answer to your question:

I can ping everything without an issue when its hanging, there are some hardware lags though , delays when typing etc...

Also Just had another look through the event viewer and although its not showing any errors there are event id's 2002 and 2003 (source: EAPOL) that pop up on each reboot, I can't find much helpful information upon this, except one person suggested disabling windows zero wireless confirguration. This didn't do anything...

Comment

Event 2003 indicates that the Extensible Authentication Policy is running. Event 2002 indicates that it's stopped,. Without the accompanying event description, there's not much more we can say...

www.eventid.net
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Working...
        X