X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deep Format on CMD

Hello!!

What is the deep format on cmd?

the command line that erase all data on the HDD or partition,and there is no

way to save the data?

i remember that daniel told that,and i cant remember what is the line.

please someone knows?

Re: Deep Format on CMD

FORMAT <drive>: /FS:NTFS /A:512 (a non-default cluster size - overwrites a large amount of former data with sector header information.

and then

FORMAT <drive>: /FS:NTFS Back to default size again.

A deep drive inspection will no doubt be able to recover data from a drive treated this way; however it would require special forensic equipment and incredible skill. (i.e. it would cost a fortune). The more times you repeat this two-step process, the less likely it is that the drive will contain recoverable data. The more different sizes you use for step one, the less likely again.

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Have you tried searching? Either a search of the site, or a Google search? You can force Google to restrict its results to a single domain using the site:<address> term.

Is this what you're looking for? Assuming of course that the format command doesn't do what you want...
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I would seriously consider reading this article before using DOS to accomplish this task (and I like DOS and use it all the time).

http://www.techsoup.org/learningcent...e/page5726.cfm

Comment

Wow, you use DOS all the time. On what? do you have an old 386?

Comment

Originally posted by udell View Post
            I would seriously consider reading this article before using DOS to accomplish this task (and I like DOS and use it all the time).

http://www.techsoup.org/learningcent...e/page5726.cfm
            I should point out that the DOS format command does not include either the /FS: switch or the /A: switch. Those switches are only to be found in the 32 bit command prompt environments of Windows NT4.0 and above. This should lead you to the conclusion that the commands I gave are not, indeed, DOS commands.

Tom
            For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Exactly. Which is what I was trying to say in a very irreverent way. DOS hasn't existed since Win9x. I believe the poster is referring to the command shell when he says DOS.

Just trying to bring some levity on a Friday evening.

Comment

thanks abaut the solutions.i use xp with 32 bit,and i ment to the command on CMD that erase 7 times deep,that cant save data,and all of it on one line.daniel told that on one of his lesson's class.

it is good if you harry,and want to format a drive D(not system boot).

i know the command,that buildin, to format a drive,and i not ment it.

it is possible on one line, and i know it is possible,and i allso want to remmember.

thank to all.

Comment

p.s: and allso,when i wrote CMD,i ment to shell on xp and not DOS.

Comment

Have you tried;
                    c:\>cmd /? and see if the switch you require is there? Alternatively you could use the Advanced Search feature of the Forum.
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Do you have such sensitive data?
                      Anyhow, this one looks promising although I never used it.
                      http://www.killdisk.com/

Usually I like the powerdrill
                      Marcel
                      Technical Consultant
                      Netherlands
                      http://www.phetios.com
                      http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                      "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                      "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by Dumber View Post
                        Usually I like the powerdrill
                        WEEE regs means it's cheaper to store old kit than to throw it away. So we just put it on a shelf in stores and wait for it to vanish... usually takes a week or 2.

I take the internals out of hard drives, put a quarter watt resistor accross the power terminals and pack the innards with smoke cookie mixture. Remove the rubber seal, put the cover back on, stick it on the shelf. Wait to see who turns up to work looking annoyed and covered in orange dye
                        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

yes,i tried the swiches on cmd,and it is not what i'm lokking for.

if someone knows the command please tell me.

thanks.

Comment

What are you trying to achieve? Knowing this may help us assist you in providing an alternate solution.
                            1 1 was a racehorse.
                            2 2 was 1 2.
                            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

You may want to take a look at SDelete also ... Free tool.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                              -

Comment

Working...
                              X