IE7 and the horrible 2 Home Pages

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IE7 and the horrible 2 Home Pages

This thread may belong elsewhere - if so I apologize.

I am building an image for 30 Lenovo desktops for our school. If I start from scratch, I cannot install the Lenovo versions of Sonic and others.

When I use the restore disks, I gett all the applications OK. But no matter what I try, IE7 comes up with 2 home pages - one is the Lenovo home page. This can be turned off per user, but these PC's will be used on a domain.

My questions:

Is there any way to turn this off machine wide?
    Will the GP on the domain (which does set a home page) stop the other page from loading? (I cannot access the domain until the 29th)

Thanks for your time - it's much appreciated.

Re: IE7 and the horrible 2 Home Pages

The GP setting to enforce a standard home page should prevent the two pages from opening - it certainly does in our domain, with ThinkPad SL500s running XP.

In general I advise people to install a clean copy of Windows using the OEM serial key rather than deploying OEM builds in a production environment though.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
      The GP setting to enforce a standard home page should prevent the two pages from opening - it certainly does in our domain, with ThinkPad SL500s running XP.

In general I advise people to install a clean copy of Windows using the OEM serial key rather than deploying OEM builds in a production environment though.
      Firstly, thanks very much for the reply.

In general, I absolutely concur. I always build from scratch and we have a LAN-wide license for XP so no problems there. But no matter what I do, I cannot get the Lenovo CD burning software ("Think Offerings") to install - either as a download from Lenovo or from C:\SWTOOLS. The error message is "This software can only be installed on IBM or Lenovo hardware". I have posted this on more appropriate forums with no luck. Obviously, there is a registry setting somewhere which fixes this. So we are faced with buying 30 copies of Nero or similar or I modify the Lenovo build. I'm torn between both avenues, that's for sure. I'd much prefer to have a basic XP set up with nothing else to start with . . .

Comment

pksupport, this CAN be done as we have done in DEECD (Department of Education and Early Childhood Development) in Victoria with the Lenovo R60 & R61 series Notebooks (and also the previous R51 & R52s).
        What model Lenovo are you using and are you using a VLK when creating your image?
        What are you using to deploy the image once it has been created?
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thanks for the post. I know it can be done - the DET did it for these machines but for various reasons the school does not want their build. I did as I have done many times before - I nuked the drive and installed XPSP3 using a VLK which has no limitations at all on the LAN. I went to Lenovo.com and used their nifty "detect my system" activex, downloaded everything available and got the machine running just fine. Except - the OEM version of Sonic will not install. I then bought a restore disc set and everything works, but as you can imagine, there is a lot of crap I don't want. I don't know why Lenovo would bother to host a piece of software which will not install on a "nuked" PC. Obviously when you use the disks, a registry key or similar is written to the machine to allow Sonic to run.

I haven't given up yet. I might be able to do a partial restore of the Sonic stuff onto a standard XP build but the hidden 6GB partition which holds the restore software might prevent this.

RE: rolling out the build - I usually use a very old version of Ghost over the LAN for major changes to the build but for restoration on machines lately I'm having good success with keeping an image on a partition on each PC and using Acronis TrueImage - much quicker . . .

Comment

Use the DET image and than take out the crap you don't want. You guys must have your own private Techroom where this sort of thing can be discussed and hacks made available. Modifying their image is going to be a lot easier and less time consuming than making your own if it is causing this much trouble. If you don't tell your school, we won't either. Too much is expected and the time is not available. The K Rudd inititave is going to make life even harder. Double the machine numbers but still have the same time allotment.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
            X