Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Change Logon screen Windows (was:need help writing a script!!!!)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change Logon screen Windows (was:need help writing a script!!!!)

hey i need help writing a scrip that will make my own logon use another shell32.dll file instead of the one in C:/WINDOWS/system32/shell32.dll

i want to use another one but i don't want to replace that one cuz then that would change it for the whole comp and i just want it for my logon. so i want a script that would re-direct my logon to use another shell32.dll instead of the one in C:/windows/....

thank you.

p.s. i don't know how to write a script so step-by-step procedures would be most welcomed. thanks.

Re: need help writing a script!!!!

Out of interest, why do you want to use a different dll?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
      Out of interest, why do you want to use a different dll?
      well i'm making my logon look like a mac i have xp it's a shared comp and evry1 else that uses the comp hates mac.

Comment

Not sure if it supports user-level skinning, but maybe try Stardock WindowBlinds or similar.
        Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

You can use Group Policy to change your user shell:
          User Configuration --> Administrative Templates --> System --> Custom user interface --> Type the name of the EXEcutable file and that will run instead of Windows Explorer (explorer.exe).

Don't forget to filter the GPO so it would only apply to you.

Comment

ok so i'm not worrying about that since i got windowblinds. but now windowblinds won't activate. i've got the serial number to activate it and tried to, but it said something like "old --something-- application error". so i don't know what's wrong

Comment

hey have you used windowblinds? the activation is messed up

Comment

Have you contacted Stardock?

Originally posted by Smart-X
                You can use Group Policy to change your user shell:
                User Configuration --> Administrative Templates --> System --> Custom user interface --> Type the name of the EXEcutable file and that will run instead of Windows Explorer (explorer.exe).
                Are you sure that method is correct? His question states that he wants to use a replacement for shell32.dll, not explorer.exe
                Gareth Howells

Comment

Originally posted by cjborodin View Post
                  hey have you used windowblinds? the activation is messed up
                  Contact Stardock
                  And please note the forum policy on illegal software
                  (which, I hope, does not apply in your case but any mention of serial numbers and activation just sets the alarm bells off
                  Tom Jones
                  MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Take photo of Mac logon screen and substitue it for the Windows one. Can do the same for the desktop as well. OR to really upset them, spend 3 times as much as you would on a PC and buy an actual Mac.
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

um you always have to register their software, and it's usually kinda picky!

Comment

But if it is software you have bought and paid for, what is the problem?
                        Tom Jones
                        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                        IT Trainer / Consultant
                        Ossian Ltd
                        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

um you always have to register their software
                          Register it then.

and it's usually kinda picky!
                          As has been suggested twice, contact Stardock if there is a problem. You've bought the product, they are obligated to help you if you have a problem with it.
                          Gareth Howells

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
                            Register it then.

As has been suggested twice, contact Stardock if there is a problem. You've bought the product, they are obligated to help you if you have a problem with it.
                            LOL or even "obliged"...

Tom
                            For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

ok i'm working on registering it.

so what do i do to get the shell32.dll to work?

Comment

Working...
                              X