Password Expiration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Password Expiration

I have multiple users reporting the error below on a Windows XP workstation in one of my domains.
    “Your password has expired. Please change your password at another machine and retry or contact your domain administrator.”
    The strange part is that the user can try to enter their password multiple times and it doesn’t lock the account in AD. There is also no indication in AD that the user’s password has expired. The user reports that if she waits a few minutes the message goes away and she is able to logon with no issue. I have checked the Group Policies and I can’t find anything that would cause this problem.
    I am thinking the workstation is not communicating with the DC for some reason and that is why she is getting this error. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks Keith

Re: Password Expiration

I have never seen that message in Windows. (and I've worked with Windows for some time). Are you sure that this isn't a Virus/trojan/malware of some kind?

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

I would strongly suspect that this is the result of a virus or other malware. If the workstation could contact a DC to know the password was expired, the message would not say to use another computer to change the password. On the other hand, if it says to use another computer because this one can't contact a DC, then this one wouldn't be able to determine whether the password is expired or not.

What antivirus, firewall and antimalware products do you use?
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

We use Symantec Corporate Edition for Virus and we have several proxy devices such as BlueCoat and WebSense. We also have multiple firewalls in use such as PIX and lots of ACL's on routers and switches.

I have been working with Windows for at least 16 years and I have never seen this message either. We have 4 domains in our forest and only one has seen this behavior so far.

Comment

Any anti-malware product? Windows Defender etc?
          Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

The only thing that resembles an antimalware product would be BlackIce installed on all the workstations. I am checking with our desktop people in London but I most likely won't get an answer today it's after hours in London as you are probably aware.

Comment

Your IT guys know the meaning of after hours? 11pm and I'm still doing installations
              Gareth Howells

Comment

Well at least he is not the only one...
                http://www.experts-exchange.com/OS/M..._22819807.html
                http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-2935515-2.php

for example...
                Marcel
                Technical Consultant
                Netherlands
                http://www.phetios.com
                http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Thanks for the links. Those seem to be related but just a little different than what we are seeing. I have a call open with MS but not sure they are going to be able to track this down either.

Thanks for the comments/suggestions. I will post an answer here once I figure this out.

Comment

Have you confirmed that this is a Windows message and not a message from one of the applications or proxy devices in use? Is there any single sign on components in use that might be generating this message?

Comment

Attempting to get more information on all the Questions/Comments.

Comment

What more information do you want? We can't make guesses about your setup - have you seen the questions Andy asked you in his last post?
                        Gareth Howells

Comment

Sorry! Gathering information on my end to answer the questions the nice people on here are asking. Going back to MS to see if this terminology is from one of their applications or if this is being caused by something else.

Comment

Working...
                          X