You might not have permission to use this network resource. Login failure

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You might not have permission to use this network resource. Login failure

I have got Desktop with XP Pro, and Laptop with XP Pro SP3.

On Desktop --> Run --> \\Laptop\C$ or D$,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I have got no problem (hidden default administrative share)

On Laptop -> Run --> \\Desktop\C$ or E$ (hidden default administrative share), I had been presented with the below error message

You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permission Login failure : the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer
    1- No firewall on both PCs

2- Having same account and same passwords did not solve the problem.

3- "Simple file sharing" unticked from both PCs.

4- Laptop connected to a router wirelessy and Desktop is connected wired.

5- All of the sudden this problem happened, it was working before.

What else should I try to overcome this problem ?

Re: You might not have permission to use this network resource. Login failure

Please confirm that the user account in question is an administrator on the desktop.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Please confirm that the user account in question is an administrator on the desktop.
      The user account on both PCs (Desktop and Laptop) have admin privilidges (Administrators group)

Comment

Originally posted by zillah View Post
        I have got Desktop with XP Pro, and Laptop with XP Pro SP3.
        Since you mention that it was working fine, Can you remember any changes made that could have triggered this?
        Is there any reason you haven't applied SP3 on the Desktop?
        Also, if you don't get anywhere after the update, try Sfc /scannow.

Ta
        Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Since you mention that it was working fine, Can you remember any changes made that could have triggered this?
          I can not remember that ,and one of my friend used my laptop.

Is there any reason you haven't applied SP3 on the Desktop?
          I should have mentioned that I had already installed SP3 on the Desktop, but there was not the reason for this problem.

Comment

You should check the 'Access this computer from the network' security right on your Desktop machine.

You can check that by performing the following steps:
            1. Log on to your desktop machine
            2. Start 'Administrative Tools' --> 'Local Security Settings' (Shortcut: Start --> Run --> Secpol.msc)
            3. Exapnd 'Security Settings' --> 'Local Policies' --> 'User Rights Assignment'
            4. On the right pane, double click 'Access this computer from the network'
            5. Make sure the user account which you use on your laptop exist in the list (or everyone)

If your desktop is member of a domain, then It is possible that you get this security setting form the domain through Group Policy.

Post back and tell us if this resolved your issue.

Comment

Make sure the user account which you use on your laptop exist in the list (or everyone)
              Yes that solved the issue. 6 Default users (Administrators, ASPNET,Backup Operators, Power Users, Everyone, Users) were not there, I do not why and how that happened, any way that fix the problem. Thanks Smart-X for this insight.

Make sure the user account which you use on your laptop exist in the list
              Since you have raised this issue, I am going to ask my next question.

I have read on many forums that we have to have same username and same password on both computer we are looking to share between them. Wouldn't the default user (everyone located "Access this computer from the network" ) take care of this issue ? If it is deafult why people keep advising: " make sure that you have same username and same password on both computers"

On my laptop right now I have got username called (mate with administrator privilege) and password :iphone,I do not have same username and same password on my Desktop and still I can access the desktop via network.
              Last edited by zillah; 13th January 2009, 00:22.

Comment

It makes it easier if the user account is the same on both systems because of the way that authentication works for file sharing sessions. It is not required.

I strongly advise that you never grant permissions to Everyone. Depending on your system, this may grant permissions to anonymous users, such as anybody trying to access your computer over the internet, or over a wireless network or...
                Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Working...
                X