Sp3?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sp3?

I have XP Pro with SP 2. Is it important to install SP 3? I am a single person on a single home computer. Would prefer not to put anything on the system that I don't need. Looked up what SP 3 included, and it listed hundreds of hotfixes--I assume I have a lot of them already, as I update regularly.

Thanks,
    Janet

Re: Sp3?

Yes, SP3 is a worthwhile update.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I was actually looking for information regarding what SP 3 would add to my computer over and above the regular MS updates.....

Janet

Comment

It doesn't really add anything as such, certainly not in the way the SP2 added a load of functionality to XP. This link should tell you all you need to know.
        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Sorry to disagree, but SP3 is only a roll up, nothing new or needed if your computer is fully patched. The new feature are so minor that you will certainly never need them.

Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) includes all previously released updates for the operating system. This update also includes a small number of new functionalities, which do not significantly change customers’ experience with the operating system.
          ....disagree with Gareth , agree with cruachan....
          "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

I second Lior_S.
            What I would do is to prepare an installation disk with SP3 slipstreamed inside, not to have to do the hundreds of updates when fresh installing even from a SP2-ready XP disk. nLite is a great tool for this.
            Given the fact you are talking about a single home computer, even this is irrelevant for you.

Sorin Solomon

»»»»»
            In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
            -
            «««««

Comment

Dear Cruachan,

The link you sent me says "This white paper summarizes what is new in Windows XP SP3." in two places, but gives no further information! Am I missing a link somewhere...?

J.

Comment

Unless I get good reason from someone to install Sp 3, I reckon I will stick at SP 2.....I have no intention of reinstalling, but if I did, I would just use whatever would be the latest service pack.........

Thanks for the advice,
                Janet

Comment

Scroll to the bottom of the page and there are download links for pdf, docx and xps formats.
                  BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                  sigpic
                  Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Wanted info--not download........

J.

PS Oh--I see--I thought the links were for downloads of the service pack itself.....Thanks.
                    Last edited by janetb; 8th January 2009, 14:28. Reason: Error

Comment

You have to download and read the MS document to give you the info
                      Tom Jones
                      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                      IT Trainer / Consultant
                      Ossian Ltd
                      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Yes, I got that.......(See my P.S. in 15:24 post.....). Thought those links were to downloads of the sp itself rather than to explanations of the sp.......

Janet

Comment

Originally posted by janetb View Post
                          Yes, I got that.......(See my P.S. in 15:24 post.....). Thought those links were to downloads of the sp itself rather than to explanations of the sp.......
                          You posted your edit at the same time he responded to the un-edited version. Do you have all other updates aside from SP3?
                          ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Not to seem rude but: Why all the gyrations over a service pack? Either install it or don't. Microsoft released it so obviously their opinion is that you should install it. You've just spent a week debating the merits of it, and still have not come to a conclusion. How will you handle the bigger decisions in your life, like "should I take that new job", "where should I send my kids to school", etc., etc.

Comment

Actually its the reason I am on vista. I installed SP3, computer did not boot properly after that, I just installed Vista and restored from backup.
                              My situation is unique as most SP3 installs are great, but there is legit concern for the question.
                              "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Working...
                              X