No announcement yet.

Issues with Specific Outgoing E-Mail via WinXP IIS SMTP

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issues with Specific Outgoing E-Mail via WinXP IIS SMTP

I am experiencing a very strange problem with a local mail server I am running, and hoping someone can offer some help.

I have a Windows XP box set up as "server1" on a small private company's LAN, and one of the things running on it is IIS SMTP. This was basically just set up to allow server1 to send me certain status updates via email, such as Norton Ghost 12 confirmation emails, low disk space alerts, etc. Every night, when Norton Ghost completed a backup, it would use server1 to send me an email message regarding the backup. The email would be sent to me at an email address that is hosted by a 3rd party hosting provider (they do the website and email hosting for this small company). All of a sudden, a few days ago, I stopped getting those emails. When I don't receive those emails, I get concerned that the backup didn't go correctly, but upon remotely logging in, I discovered the backup completed fine. The problem seems to be that the 3rd party hosting provider is no longer accepting emails from this mail server.

When I try to send an email via server1 (there is no authentication required on server1's SMTP relay since it is firewalled and on a private network) to an email address on this 3rd party hosting provider (they host not only this small company's email and website, but also my business and my personal email and websites) using the whole "telnet server1 25" process, the email doesn't go through, and the email winds up sitting in the C:\inetpub\mailroot\Queue folder. Upon looking at the email in there, I see the following: Diagnostic-Code: smtp;550 Access denied - Invalid HELO name (See RFC2821 I will post the entire contents of this email file below. If I use that same "telnet server1 25" process to send an email to another email address, such as my Gmail, it goes through fine (although it does arrive in my Gmail as spam). Just to mention, I also have Norton Internet Security 2007 installed on this server1 box, but I installed that months ago and email has been getting through fine ever since then until a few days ago.

Looking up the "Invalid HELO name (See RFC2821" error message didn't offer me much insight into resolving this problem, and although I assumed that since it was only happening for this 3rd party hosting company, it must be something on their end, contacting them hasn't gotten me much help. They are telling me the issue isn't on their end, nothing has changed in the past few days, and because it's a mail server that I'm running on my end they can't offer me any additional help.

Can anyone offer me any help or suggestions on how to resolve this issue? Thanks!

- Marc

Copy of E-Mail Sitting in C:\inetpub\mailroot\Queue:

To: 37@<companyname>.com
    Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 11:37:24 -0500
    MIME-Version: 1.0
    Content-Type: multipart/report; report-type=delivery-status;
    boundary="9B095B5ADSN=_01C96D71EDD6D5020000001Bser ver1"
    Message-ID: <[email protected]>
    Subject: Delivery Status Notification (Failure)

This is a MIME-formatted message.
    Portions of this message may be unreadable without a MIME-capable mail program.

Content-Type: text/plain; charset=unicode-1-1-utf-7

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Delivery to the following recipients failed.

Content-Type: message/delivery-status

Reporting-MTA: dns;server1
    Received-From-MTA: dns;me
    Arrival-Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 11:37:22 -0500

Final-Recipient: rfc822;marc@<personal_email_address>.com
    Action: failed
    Diagnostic-Code: smtp;550 Access denied - Invalid HELO name (See RFC2821

Content-Type: message/rfc822

Received: from me ([<local_IP_address_of_server1>]) by server1 with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.2600.2180);
    Sat, 3 Jan 2009 11:37:22 -0500
    Subject: 11:37 AM
    Return-Path: 37@<companyname>.com
    Message-ID: <[email protected]>
    X-OriginalArrivalTime: 03 Jan 2009 16:37:22.0390 (UTC) FILETIME=[8D52CF60:01C96DC1]
    Date: 3 Jan 2009 11:37:22 -0500

please relay

Re: Issues with Specific Outgoing E-Mail via WinXP IIS SMTP

Diagnostic-Code: smtp;550 Access denied - Invalid HELO name (See RFC2821
    Sometimes this can happen when your server name is not the same as the MX record.