Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unable to install LLTP on WinXP

Hello:

I have a Windows XP system that serves as the central hub for my small wireless network. It has two printers attached to it, as well as several file shares various people in my organization need. We recently replaced everybody's laptops with new ones running Vista. Since doing so, nobody can find the XP system in the Vista network map and therefore can't map the shares or the printers. I read Microsoft KB article 922120 and downloaded the associated hotfix, but when I try to install the fix I get a message that says my XP system already has this hotfix because my system has a higher Service Pack. I can't install the LLTP protocol through the Networking tools, and I searched my system and can't find the rspndr.exe or rspndr.sys files anywhere. I am at wit's end here on trying to get this to work, and need help figuring out how to make this work. Any advice at all would be very much appreciated.

Thank you,

Waide R. Yokom

Re: Unable to install LLTP on WinXP

Are the machines all on the same subnet? Can you ping XP from Vista by hostname? By IP? Can you access the XP box from Vista via Start > Run > \\hostname? \\ip? Are all the machines in the same workgroup? What are you using as your DHCP and DNS?

Keep in mind that XP is not designed to be used as a server - long term I would advise that you consider your options. If your budget won't cover Windows Server, then I'm sure it will cover a copy of Linux
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Yes, all of the systems are on the same subnet - 255.255.255.0.

I cannot ping the XP box by name or address from Vista; when I try, it gives me a "General Failure" for each ping, although it does do the name-to-address translation correctly.

DHCP and DNS are automatically provided by the DSL modem with wireless gateway provided by AT&T, our broadband provider. We have 4 people in this little digital media company, each with a laptop now running Vista (including me ) that connects via wireless and the XP box which connects via 100Mbps Ethernet cable to the DSL modem. This is identical to our previous setup, when everybody's old laptops ran XP and everything worked.

Any further ideas would be greatly appreciated; right now for print jobs I've had to issue everyone a USB key to copy their documents to, then they have to manually go in and print them via the XP box.

Thank you,

Waide R. Yokom

Comment

That isn't a subnet, that's a subnet mask.

An IPv4 address is made up of 4 octets, which between them identify the network a device is on, and also which node that device is on the network. The use of 255.255.255.0 as the netmask indicates that the first three octets identify the network, while the fourth identifies the machine.

With that in mind, check the IP addresses of the machines in question and see if they all have the same network ID.
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Gareth:

I installed VMWare on that XP box and installed Linux that way, then mounted the file shares and made the printers available through Linux. Everything is working that way for now.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Waide

Comment

Working...
          X