Printing Problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Printing Problems

I log in every day with my laptop (OS Windows XP) to the network in my office.
    During my work, when I have something to print, invoice / report /invitation
    and so on and so on, I print to a printer connected to a PC in the room of Secretary (OS Windows 98 ).
    During the last month, every day a few times when I print, no print is Coming out, I need to go to the "printers and faxes" , replace a default printer, and return again to that Printer . Only then print comes out.
    It can then continue to be all right, and prints the next few minutes, and perhaps beyond that, and suddenly the problem is back again. I tried everything possible and nothing resolve the Problem.
    If you have an idea to fix the problem I'd be happy to hear !
    Last edited by biggles77; 30th December 2008, 15:07. Reason: Fix smilie display 8)

Re: Printing Problems

Look in the event logs.

Which Windows XP? Home, Professional, MCE? Which SP?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

printing over a network to a PC's connected printer is an annoying setup,

why not spend $50 on a standalone print server for the printer, they have models to suit USB, Network and Parallel printers.

follow gforceindustries instructions so we have half a clue what we are dealing with.

Comment

Originally posted by wazzad View Post
        they have models to suit USB, Network and Parallel printers
        Out of curiosity, what would you gain by buying a print server for a printer that already has network connectivity?
        Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
          Out of curiosity, what would you gain by buying a print server for a printer that already has network connectivity?
          If I read the original post correctly, the printer is not networked directly, but hangs off the back of a Win98 box

So cutting out a hideously obsolete (OK, delete the last word) OS is probably a good idea.
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Agreed, however my post was in response to wazzad's post, regarding print servers that exist to support printers that have USB, parallel or network interfaces. I've personally never seen a print server device with an ethernet interface for the printer to connect to, and can't see any benefit in using such a device.
            Gareth Howells

Comment

Sorry, I didnt read his post fully -- just saw USB, parallel and mentally filled in serial

Although of course, the "other side" of the print server would have a network interface (if it doesnt have WiFi)
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
                Agreed, however my post was in response to wazzad's post, regarding print servers that exist to support printers that have USB, parallel or network interfaces. I've personally never seen a print server device with an ethernet interface for the printer to connect to, and can't see any benefit in using such a device.
                There is no benefit at all, I honeslty have no idea why I mentioned ethernet must have been low on my caffine supply.

The only reason one would want to purchase a print server is to attach a USB, Parallel or Serial printer to the network.

If they even existed they would just be a grey box with a pass though RJ45 plug on either side. . . . sad thing is it could probally sell.

Comment

must have been low on my caffine supply
                  No worries, we all know how dangerous low blood-caffiene can be

sad thing is it could probally sell
                  Never underestimate the power of brushed aluminium and blue LEDs

I once saw something that I just couldn't believe... even when it was right there in front of me.

A 48 port...

... gigabit...

... hub. Complete with collision LED. Which somehow hadn't burnt out.
                  Gareth Howells

Comment

Working...
                  X