WinXP & Win98SE

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WinXP & Win98SE

Can any one help me to install Win98SE with WinXP on my SATA HDD, not a virtual windows by virtual programs like VMWare, I need to install Win98SE stand alone but it can not recognize SATA HDD.

Re: WinXP & Win98SE

Do you mean a dual boot configuration?
    Have a look at this link to see if it helps: http://www.xtide.com/kb/W98.html

But why not go virtual? Any specific reasons?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Win 98 has no SATA support, so you'll need to change the BIOS settings on your PC from SATA/AHCI to Legacy/ATA or something similar.

Windows XP won't directly install on SATA drives either without additional drivers. Alternatively of course you could just use IDE/PATA drives. I'm guessing that seeing as virtual is not an option you have some legacy games or apps you want to run that need 3D acceleration support?
      BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
      sigpic
      Cruachan's Blog

Comment

This is inaccurate. I have installed XP on my SATA drive with absolutely no additional actions; I just put the boot CD in and off it went.

Tom
        For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
          This is inaccurate. I have installed XP on my SATA drive with absolutely no additional actions; I just put the boot CD in and off it went.
          It depends on the chipset. My laptop requires SATA drivers when installing XP but they are built into Vista. The previous model doesn't require drivers.

goldenformat, find out what chispset is running on the motherboard and then see if you can slipstream the appropriate drivers onto the install CD. nLite may be your best option for this.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
            If the BIOS is defaulted to legacy mode it would work as if it was a PATA drive.

Depends also on whether it was an OEM OS CD. Dell, and others I'm sure, bundle the AHCI drivers into their OEM CDs that ship with their systems, it's only if you try another OS CD that it'll trip up.
            BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
            sigpic
            Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
              If the BIOS is defaulted to legacy mode it would work as if it was a PATA drive.

Depends also on whether it was an OEM OS CD. Dell, and others I'm sure, bundle the AHCI drivers into their OEM CDs that ship with their systems, it's only if you try another OS CD that it'll trip up.
              I'm running a Dell Dimension 4600i from 2003 - and I have never used the Dell install CD - I went out and bought a retail copy of XP Pro (the PC came with XP Home). I only put the SATA drive in about three months ago and installed XP from the retail disk as I always have. I never bothered looking what the BIOS was set to - it just worked...

not saying you're wrong or anything; just relating my experience.

Tom
              For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Personally, never had any problems with XP on SATA drives, but please remember the OPs actual problem is installing Win98 on a SATA drive
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Also have a look at this Seagate troubleshooter to see if it helps.
                  http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.js...00dd04090aRCRD
                  Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Working...
                  X