Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• File transfer error over network

Hi friends and experts,

I got an annoying problem just recently regarding with file transfers over the network.I'm running a peer to peer network at home with 2 pcs.I regularly move files(big and small) between the pcs with no problem at all before this via mapped drives or network shares.As recently,I got either these errors showing up in the middle of big file transfers:

a)cannot copy xxx,the network path is no longer available
    b)cannot copy xxx,the path is too deep

As i remember correctly,i'm starting to get these errors after updating my xp with microsoft latest updates just about a week or so.During the file transfers,I also ran ping continously to the target machine and the connection shows fine even after the traansfer has failed,no timeouts whatsoever.

At the moment I'm using filezilla ftp server and client to transfer big files between the pcs as it worked with no problem.Does anybody experienced this problem before?My pc is running xp sp3 with latest updates,2gb ram,c2d e6750 and with avg8 internet security.

Thank you very much in advance for your thoughts and suggestions.

Re: File transfer error over network

If you google for "the path is too deep" there are a few things there worth a read.
    Make sure your NIC drivers are up to date.
    Is this wired or wireless?
    Try wired if it is wireless.

Do you get problems if you copy from root to root of C: ?
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

What sort of files are you trying to copy when you experience these problems? Have you tried it with AVG disabled, to eliminate that as the problem?
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Thanks guys for your inputs

About the "path too deep" error,I've knew it as something about path\file name length limitations.My files are definately have a lot of subfolders with long file names inside.The thing is,I've did the transfers without any problem at all before this.I'm getting this error just recently when the recent IE7 patch being applied.I'm know that IE somehow controls/involved in mapped drive usage based on my experience before.I'm using wired connection for all pc in my home.

The location where the source and the destination are excluded zones that I defined in AVG8 resident sheild setting.Means that,no scanning are involved in those locations.I've also disabled avg firewall temporarily but it still doesn't help.

My files consists of a lot large zipped files,isos and documents that I moved frequently between these 2 pcs.My drivers(mobo bios,nic,sound,inf,etc) are always up to date.

FTP works without a problem,only this direct transfer got this problem.

I think I'm gonna reinstall my xp without the recent updates and see if its fixed the problem.

Comment

Normally I would say that is a major step but if you are like me I try to find out what causes the change so I would probably do the same. Let us know how you get on.
          cheers
          Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Hi guys,

My pc =PC A
            Other pc = PC B

Unfortunately I'm still not able to totally solve my problem.I've found out why the disconnection occurs but I can't seem to find the root cause of the problem.It's seems that my AVG8 firewall that is causing the problem.

I forgot to tell you guys that I've just started using AVG8 recently upgraded from AVG7.5.In my previous post,I only disable the firewall on PC B but not in PC A and the transfer error occured.As soon as i disable the AVG firewall on PC A,the transfer would go perfectly from PC A to PC B.

PC B also have AVG8 firewall,but has no problem transfering files from there to PC A even with firewall activated on PC B.The transfer error would still occur if i copy something from PC A via PC B with the firewall activated on PC A.

So with that,it's clearly that something is wrong on PC A,either it's AVG8 or other incompatible components.I've tried a clean XP SP3 install with AVG8 but still got the problem.I have no ideas at all now and I'm stumped at the moment.Anyway thanks guys for trying to help me out.

Comment

Working...
            X