Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deleted userinit.exe file... Please help!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deleted userinit.exe file... Please help!!

Hi! I'm desperately seeking help from all of you experts out there... When I was removing a virus from my computer I accidentally deleted my userinit file. Now I can't even logon. What should I do? Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. And please be gentle... my techie skills are pretty low.
    Thanks!

Re: Deleted userinit.exe file... Please help!!

Which OS is it?

Anyway, our good friend (http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...init.exe&meta=) shows you are not the first person in this position.
    Try:
    http://www.techsupportforum.com/micr...eted-file.html
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I'm on windows xp and I don't have the xp cd.

Comment

Originally posted by picapepper View Post
        I'm on windows xp and I don't have the xp cd.
        Is it Win XP Professional or -Home edition?
        What Windows Service Pack version was installed? If SP3, you can extract userinit.exe from Service Pack 3 (probably aready on the hard disk in the folder: C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386)

\Rems

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
        and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

But he can't log on....
          Catch 22!

PicaPepper,
          I think you need to either borrow an XP CD or get in touch with your supplier to get a replacement
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
            But he can't log on....
            I was aware of that, he could however attach the hard drive temporary to an other computer and copy the files.
            Important is - the version of userinit.exe that is needded to be restored is depended on the latest SP that was installed.

It is probably also possible to boot with boot diskettes to logon or via a 3rd party opensource boot cd - that able you to read, write and copy files on a ntfs partition.

\Rems

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
            and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Working...
            X