X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rename files in folders and subfolders

Hi

Does anyone know of a tool which will rename all files in a folder heirarchy, please?

I will be restoring archived data from CD's to a drive. The data is split into projects, but although the top-level folder identifies the project, the file names within the subfolders do not always reflect the project name.

For example, I restore a project called Survey2001: The top level folder is called Survey2001. But, the files contained in the subfolders of Survey2001 (and some of these folder structures are quite deep) may be called file1, file2 etc.

I would like to find a tool that will allow me to rename all the files so that file1 and file2 become Project2001-file1 and Project2001-file2.

Is this possible?

Thanks
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Re: Rename files in folders and subfolders

Will this one do: - http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Download.php

The other way you could do it in Windows is to Multiselect the files and then F2. that way all the files will be renamed with the same name and a unique number.
    Ta
    Last edited by L4ndy; 12th December 2008, 16:22.
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

I believe Bulk Renamer will do it, alternatively there are some very good Explorer replacements out there which offer additional features. I personally use and recommend Directory Opus, which I believe offers this feature too. For example, you can bulk rename files using regular expressions.
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by L4ndy View Post
        Will this one do: - http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Download.php

The other way you could do it in Windows is to Multiselect the files and then F2. that way all the files will be renamed with the same name and a unique number.
        Ta

That is a totally awesome utility. It renames all folders and files all the way to the bottom of the heirarchy.

Exactly what I wanted.

Thank you very much.
        A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

No probs, Glad to help.
          Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Well my tested one for bulk renaming is BatchRenameFiles Tool which can used in your situation too. Thanks

Comment

Working...
            X