Logon Script Won't Run

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Logon Script Won't Run

I am struggling to figure out the following issue.
    I have a Windows XP Pro machine that is in a Workgroup and have it setup to Autologon as a user that is in the admin group. I specified a logon script for this user in the User Profiles properties but the logon script does not run when the computer is restarted and auto logs in. The script runs fine when the user logs off and logs back in.

Re: Logon Script Won't Run

Disable auto-login, reboot the machine and login manually as that user. Does the script run?

Do the event logs show anything?

What sort of script is it, and what does it do?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
      Disable auto-login, reboot the machine and login manually as that user. Does the script run?

Do the event logs show anything?

What sort of script is it, and what does it do?
      The script runs fine after I logoff and log back in even without disabling the auto logon feature. It is a script that renames the computer. Here would be the scenario:

Computers get imaged restarts > autologon as user and login script runs batch file to rename computer.

Comment

Originally posted by techhelp00 View Post
        The script runs fine after I logoff and log back in even without disabling the auto logon feature.
        Yes, but my suggestion was to logon manually as that user after a reboot, not after logging off from being logged on before - obviously this makes a difference for some reason.
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
          Yes, but my suggestion was to logon manually as that user after a reboot, not after logging off from being logged on before - obviously this makes a difference for some reason.
          Manually logon with auto logon disabled works fine too.

Thanks for your help!

Comment

Working...
          X