Slipstream SP3 over an OS Slipstreamed with SP2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slipstream SP3 over an OS Slipstreamed with SP2

Back in the early days of slipstreaming, I remember reading somewhere that you could not slipstream twice over an OS. Meaning I couldn't Slipstream SP3 over an OS Slipstreamed with SP2.

Is this still the case? If so, can someone provide documentation stating that? Like from MS.

I have googled and have not found the "exact" wording that says you can't, nor that you can either.

Much appreciated!

Hewissa

Re: Slipstream SP3 over an OS Slipstreamed with SP2

Slipstreaming a service pack into the Windows installation files shouldn't be affected by how many times you've done it. In fact, I would recommend going up one SP level at a time.

Try it and see - you've got nothing to lose by trying, other than the cost of a blank CD.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I slipstreamed SP1 onto XP Pro. I then slipstreamed SP2 onto the SP1 disk. Then, tadaaaaa, I put SP3 onto the SP2 disk. All works fine.

Also suggest you use nLite (Google it) or http://www.petri.com/windows_2000_xp...pstreaming.htm Personally I use nLite as it is easier and a lot faster and allows you to preset other settings. (Location, Regional Settings, Keyboard, languages etc )
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Although nuhi does recommend not streaming a service pack on top of an already slipstreamed source, I believe.
        cheers
        Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
          Although nuhi does recommend not streaming a service pack on top of an already slipstreamed source, I believe.
          And here lies a problem. You have to have an original copy of XP laying around so you can slipstream each new SP when it is released. This isn't going to happen to people who purchased XP that already had SP1 or SP2 slipstreamed into it.

Bit of a bummer eh.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

It might not be recommended, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it can't be done. I'm curious though, any idea why they don't recommend it? Presumably because the technique was tested on gold copies of the OS and not on copies that had already been slipstreamed, so it's basically saying "you can do it, but we won't support it".

Since slipstreaming essentially just replaces old versions of files with new ones, I can't really see why it'll cause a problem if you go up one step at a time.
            Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Working...
            X