Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unable to write to CD

Hi

I had a perfectly functioning CD drive on my Win XP Pro SP3 PC from Dell.

I installed a second drive, an LG, and installed the version of Nero Express that came with it. When I did that, Nero Express experienced numerous write errors. I have tried to write 40 disks and write errors have occurred on half of them (no exaggeration).

So, to get things back to normal, I uninstalled Nero Express, and disconnected the LG drive.

However, after restarting, the CD destination in the SendTo menu was missing. I restored it by opening the properties of the CD drive and ticking the box that enables the drive to write to CD.

But - the problem is that when I right-click a file and choose SendTo>CD Drive (E: ) I receive an error message: "Windows encountered a problem when trying to copy this file" and am given the option to retry. I checked the permissions on the Staging Area folder and my account and the System account has full control. I also tried to send a file to the CD drive logged on as the local administrator, but the same error message appears.

If I try to write directly to the staging area (C:\Documents and Settings\blood\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\CD Burning), as soon as a file is copied/created there, the CD Writing notification balloon appears in the System Tray. When I click the balloon to open the CD drive, the file is not listed, and there are no options to burn a CD.

I've searched high and low for a solution to this but cannot find anything useful. Does anyone have any other suggestions I can try please?

Thanks
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Re: Unable to write to CD

SATA burner or IDE?
    If IDE are both devices on the same channel/controller?
    Is one set to Master and the other to Slave or do you have a Cable Select combo?
    Any errors on Event Log?
    Is it registered in Device Manager correctly?
    Have you tried the new device in another known working PC just by itself? You may have a faulty device.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Not related to your question, but in addition to Biggles' points, did you try discs from different brands? Do you use branded or generic media? It could be a dodgy batch.
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Thanks to both of you for your replies.

The discs are branded and are fine - they write without problems in other PC's.

I'm convinced it is the drive that is faulty - it is about 18 months old and was taken out of another PC (A win2k Pro machine) where it had been working fine. But, it was last used about 6 months ago.

Anyone know how I might get my PC's original CD drive to write CD's again?

Thanks

Comment

Does the original drive work if you reinstall Nero? Your original post made it sound like it was Windows you were having a problem with, not the original drive...
          Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
            Does the original drive work if you reinstall Nero? Your original post made it sound like it was Windows you were having a problem with, not the original drive...
            The problem was writing to the additional LG drive using Nero. After uninstalling Nero and disconnecting the LG drive I am unable to write to the original CD drive. Nero caused me some problems when it was installed - it would not recognise the LG drive. I had to remove the LG drive in device manager and reboot before it appeared in the available list of writable devices. The original CD drive never appeared in the list. I assume this was because the copy of Nero Express was written to be used with the LG drive only.

I am extremely reluctant to re-install Nero Express.

Comment

The OEM copies of Nero are legally required to be used with the drive they are supplied with, but they will write to any drive. The problem you described originally was a problem with Windows, that was caused by Nero not uninstalling cleanly.
              Gareth Howells

Comment

Thanks.

I had uninstalled and reinstalled Nero several times to try to fix the problem before realising the LG drive was probably the culprit.

However, I am still unable to write data to the original CD drive. There is no other CD drive installed.

So, if anyone knows what I need to do to be able to write to CD using Window's native CD burning tool, I will be grateful.

Thank you.

Comment

Have a quick look at http://www.windows-media-player-upda...nerdriver.html
                  Gareth Howells

Comment

Thanks a lot for that. That was one of the pages I had seen. Good advice, but my drive seems to be quite stubborn.

I have got around this by installing an open source writer from here. It offers a high degree of control and is very easy to use.

Thanks for the advice.

Comment

If you have an old version of Nero and a newer SATA burner then you could have problems with Nero not recognising the newer device.
                      1 1 was a racehorse.
                      2 2 was 1 2.
                      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                      X