Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cannot see my own used in command prompt

hello
    I am using windows XP professional, corporate PC which I have "inherited" from work.
    my user is on a domain, which i am not using as i do not work there anymore, but i can open it locally as well (always under the domain name).
    I opened command prompt and typed "net user" but all i could see, was administrator, helpassistant but my user does not appear.
    how come?
    how can i show it?
    also, I do not manage to open the administrator account because i am not connected to the domain anymore or, at least, that is the message i get; which is strange, as my user can be opened (it does not have administrative privileges) but i need the administrator to change things in my "new" pc.
    how can i bypass that?

Re: cannot see my own used in command prompt

No offence, but your use of " " around inherited, and the fact that the machine is still a member of the domain even though you don't work there anymore, makes this sound a little bit dodgy. Also, if the machine still has a copy of the company's volume licenced Windows installed, then it is not legally licenced.

Assuming this is not the case, and you do have a legal licence for XP (is there a licence sticker on the machine?) then reinstall Windows. Don't carry on using the machine in its current state.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

"net user" is a local command, it will show you the same users as Local users and Groups from the Computer Management console.

If you logged onto the domain prior to removing the PC from the network then your credentials will be cached hence why you can logon. Any account from the domain which has not logged on will not be cached, and as you are not connected to the domain you can't authenticate to a DC, so no logon.

Bottom line, if you are not in the domain I'd look at rebuilding the PC or at least disjoining (is that a word? ) it from the domain.
      BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
      sigpic
      Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
        disjoining (is that a word? ) it from the domain.
        Certainly is. In any case, it is difficult to remove a machine from the domain without

a) domain admin priviliges
        b) a connection to the domain controller

Hence my suggestion to flatten and rebuild, if he has a licence.
        Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post

Certainly is. In any case, it is difficult to remove a machine from the domain without

a) domain admin priviliges
          b) a connection to the domain controller
          I'll have to slightly disagree

a) Local admin should do
          b) Don't need to be conected to the domain necessarily

That means though that any cached domain policies won't apply when restarting.

Originally posted by cruachan
          disjoining (is that a word? ) it from the domain.
          Arrgghhh, my arm is hurting....
          Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Re: cannot see my own user in command prompt net user

Originally posted by after8 View Post
            hello
            I am using windows XP professional, corporate PC which I have "inherited" from work.
            my user is on a domain, which i am not using as i do not work there anymore, but i can open it locally as well (always under the domain name).
            I opened command prompt and typed "net user" but all i could see, was administrator, helpassistant but my user does not appear.
            how come?
            how can i show it?
            also, I do not manage to open the administrator account because i am not connected to the domain anymore or, at least, that is the message i get; which is strange, as my user can be opened (it does not have administrative privileges) but i need the administrator to change things in my "new" pc.
            how can i bypass that?

I am presuming you are using OEM licence and not Volume one as flagged up before.

You can't see your user account because you are using AD cached credentials to log in.
            You might need to contact your previous "Network Lord" and ask for credential details for the local Administrator account.
            Otherwise, check this: http://www.petri.com/forgot_administrator_password.htm

Ta
            Caesar's cipher - 3

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

1) I DO have a sticker and a OEM licence
              2) I am that smart to know that reinstalling would help....I am trying to avoid it as i have a lot of applications inherited (no " ") from work with the pc and they would be lost and.....yes, the PC is "inherited" as to say i do not work there anymore and i could keep it
              3) contacting my previous employer is not an option: i do not work there anymore therefore i am not on the helpdesk list.....no service!
              4) I cannot connect anymore to the domain in question on their network/intranet but, my user is on that domain name even if i connect locally
              5) about Administrator: i do know the password but, if i try to connect on the same domain ,i get a message saying the domain is not available;
              if i try on a local domain, it connects but my user is not there and i cannot see it!!

so, if you feel better this way, suggestions on how to reach my user on a different domain where i can open the administrator are welcome,

Comment

Hi,

No need to get deffensive...
                We are all trying to give advice to the best of our knowledge and ensure that the advice it's not used for any "Illegal" software or in breach of EULA , hence the questions about the authenticy.
                For information only, the fact that you have an OEM sticker does not necessarily mean that the Version installed is not using a volume license!

Besides, you have already been given some valid suggestions.
                If you can't follow the suggestions earlier, then I am afraid you are only left with the following as previously mentioned:
                1-Recover Administrator password or
                2-Reinstall

Ta
                Caesar's cipher - 3

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

how do i "detach" my user from the domain to which it is registered? because in fact, it does not belong to it anymore, just my machine remembers it this way

Comment

You don't, you would have to create a new user account.

As has been suggested, many times, the best option is going to be to reinstall the computer. You've already said that you have a licence key for an OEM copy of Windows.
                    Gareth Howells

Comment

can i copy my user to the new domain?

Comment

Do you have a Domain Controller that you can join your PC to?
                        First you will have to "unjoin" from the present Domain and revert to a Workgroup. Before doing that, make sure you have a User Account that had Administrative privledges and that you know the password.
                        1 1 was a racehorse.
                        2 2 was 1 2.
                        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

What I would do is this:
                          - be sure you have the local Administrator's credentials. If needed, and if your old domain account is part of the Administrators group, change the password of the Administrator account;
                          - create a new local account. Make it (if you want/need) part of the Administrators group;
                          - logoff and logon again with the account you just created. Let the computer create the profile, but don't bother to change anything inside;
                          - logoff and logon with the local Administrator;
                          - go to System Properties -> Advanced -> User Profiles -> Settings. Click the domain user's profile and copy it onto the local account you just created;
                          - logoff and logon with the new local account. See that everything you had earlier is working now;
                          - at your convenience, change the system properties from domain to a workgroup. You do not have to be in the domain for that. You don't even have to be connected to any network...
                          - later on, you can delete the old domain account's profile.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                          -

Comment

Working...
                          X