No announcement yet.

Lost EFS encrypted data after formatting the C drive (was: pls help)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost EFS encrypted data after formatting the C drive (was: pls help)

Hi dear friends

I am facing a serious problem in my XP machine . one user encrypted his personal folder which is located in e: and later I formatted my c: and installed a fresh XP machine .Now I am not able to access that folder encrypted by the previos user

Re: pls help

Welcome to the site, but please read the forum rules before you post back - "pls help" is not a good thread title. People who see that will not know what your thread is about, and many won't bother to read it if the OP hasn't bothered to provide a helpful title.

Did you backup the user's EFS key? If not, then you've lost the data.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Re: pls help

Title changed.
      If you have read the forum rules you would know that this kind of titles isn't allowed.

Anyhow, IF you didn't safe the certificate, you lost the data.
      Simple huh? well maybe you can recover the certificate by the app Gforce has recommended in an other topic but no certificate no data.

If you are in a domain environment then you have other options by using the recovery agent.
      Technical Consultant

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
      "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
      "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"