Re-installing Windows XP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-installing Windows XP

I have a computer which seems to have a corrupt Windows folder. I need to re-install Windows but do not want to reformat the drive as there is around 100 GB of data on it. I also do not want to re-install into the same folders.

Is there a way which I can delete the Windows system folders, leaving just the data, then reboot using the Windows CD?

Note that the computer's system drive is made up of two 80 GB hard drives in RAID0 (striping) setup. I thus need to use the mobo RAID drivers before I can boot off a boot CD and recognise the volume.
    |
    +-- JDMils
    |
    +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
    |

Re: Re-installing Windows XP

Got a backup of the data?

You could try running a repair install.

Please note that this is the Windows Server forum - there is another forum for Windows XP. Thread flagged for moving.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

As noted, we do have a Windows XP forum for this sort of post.

IMHO, get a USB drive (dirt cheap these days) and copy all your data to that, verify and then format and reinstall the PC.

Also note RAID 0 (RAID uh oh) is non-fault tolerant and will lose all your data if either drive fails, so you should be making regular backups anyway
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Does the PC boot? If so do what Ossian suggested. PC World were last week selling 1TB USB drives for 80 if you are in the UK, so it's not expensive.

If the PC does not boot, as a last resort you can reinstall Windows on top of the old installation, purely to get the data off. I've tried this a few times and it works in as much as you can access the data but you almost always end up with an unstable Windows install.
        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Sorry for posting into the wrong topic.

I created a BartPE CD and integrated the RAID drivers into the image which worked really well. I then renamed all the Windows system folders and am now re-installing WindowsXP to new folders.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
          |
          +-- JDMils
          |
          +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
          |

Comment

Well done!
            I still recommend you do a data recovery and then a fresh install of Windows afterwards to make sure you are clean and virus free.
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
            X