Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Machines going into standby when this is disabled?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Machines going into standby when this is disabled?

Afternoon all

Bit of an odd problem with two machines here. For some reason, they are going into standby mode when they're left idle. No other machines are doing this. I've checked all of the relevant settings in the (very limited) BIOS, and power settings in Windows are all configured to 'never' - even turning off the monitor. They are set to do nothing when the power button is pressed etc.

Event logs show... nothing. All we see is that the machines drop off the network, and if you go to them the power LED will be blinking - press a key or move the mouse and the machine wakes up again.

BIOS, OS and drivers are fully up to date. The machines in question are Dell Dimension 1100s, as are 5 other machines here. All 7 have the same hardware and software configuration.

Can anybody suggest where else I should look to see how to disable this?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Re: Machines going into standby when this is disabled?

Try installing the latest dell quickset.
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
      Afternoon all

Bit of an odd problem with two machines here. For some reason, they are going into standby mode when they're left idle. No other machines are doing this. I've checked all of the relevant settings in the (very limited) BIOS, and power settings in Windows are all configured to 'never' - even turning off the monitor. They are set to do nothing when the power button is pressed etc.

Event logs show... nothing. All we see is that the machines drop off the network, and if you go to them the power LED will be blinking - press a key or move the mouse and the machine wakes up again.

BIOS, OS and drivers are fully up to date. The machines in question are Dell Dimension 1100s, as are 5 other machines here. All 7 have the same hardware and software configuration.

Can anybody suggest where else I should look to see how to disable this?
      Have you tried updating the BIOS on those machines???

What type of machines are they???

Comment

@wullieb1: Everything is up to date and the machines are Dells:

@ Dumber: I believe QuckSet (one of the few pieces of Dellware that I actually put back on the machines) is also up to date - will check when I can. I've not been able to get near the machines in question these last few days.
        Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

@wullieb1: Everything is up to date and the machines are Dells:
          Sorry bud missed that bit

Does it happen after the same amount of time everytime???

May actually be a faulty piece of equipment inside the box, namely a thermal shutdown.

Comment

Within 5 minutes of the same time every night, and one is always an hour earlier as that machine's user finishes at 4pm rather than 5 (it's not that great - he starts at 6am).

I did consider the possibility of a thermal fault, particularly as the last machine to be kept under the desk in reception did overheat a lot, but they are shutting down when idle rather than when in use so it's unlikely I think.
            Gareth Howells

Comment

Have you tried to disable hibernation???

Comment

Yes - as I said, all of the power saving options are configured to Never turn off the screen, turn off the hard drives, standby or hibernate. Hibernation is disabled, and the machines are configured to do nothing if the power button is pressed.
                Gareth Howells

Comment

Any scheduled task running???

Grabbing at straws here lol

Comment

Please do - I've personally run out of straws. The only scheduled tasks are a bunch I setup to try to keep the machines busy so they wouldn't go into standby. Ipconfig release/renew, gpupdate, gpresult, defrag... you'd think at least defrag would stop it going into standby?
                    Gareth Howells

Comment

[start straw] Try a different NIC. [/end straw]
                      1 1 was a racehorse.
                      2 2 was 1 2.
                      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hmmmm now i'm a little bit stuck lol.

Sounds like you've everything i would've.

Is the network card set to not be allowed to turned off?? In the device properties untick Allow this device to be turned off setting.

What happens if you stick a fresh install on the machine???

Comment

Fresh installs will happen over the break. New NIC is worth trying but we don't have any spares at the moment. Yes, the network cards are configured to not be switched off to save power.

Thanks for your suggestions, guess we'll just have to do what my boss does and explain it away with "They're cheap Dells - it's to be expected"
                          Gareth Howells

Comment

Not quite the same but

http://itknowledgeexchange.techtarge...p-mode-issues/

http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/5...nto-sleep.html
                            cheers
                            Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Thanks mate

Yeah I've seen Dell power LEDs turn all sorts of weird colours before - I have a couple of old Optiplex models at home for toying around with. For the record, these machines are too cheap for Dell to include WOL support... that said, our PowerEdge 2900 that we bought this summer doesn't support it for some reason either... not best pleased about that.

I did consider power supply faults, but I'd expect the timing to be far more random - I have however tried swapping round PSUs without any luck.

Both machines are due to be replaced sometime in the earlier months of next year... but it's a bit annoying that these 2 machines aren't getting their scheduled maintenance performed. They're machines 5 and 7, numbers start at 2 and we'll be running a rolling replacement starting in January of 2 machines per month. Which means another 2-3 months of no defrags
                              Gareth Howells

Comment

Working...
                              X