Different XP Boot Issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Different XP Boot Issue

I have a user with a specific problem. Here is what she has submitted to us....

"When I come in each morning and turn my PC on, it boots up and asks for my password. Then my desktop comes up (I am guessing she means her desktop backround), but without any icons; just completely blank. After waiting (almost 30 minutes one day) and determining that nothing else was going to be happening, I've been restarting it and it has come up fine after that.

When this problem first began, it was happening every once in a while. However, it has happened every day, so far, this week."

I have already visted her once on this and can't seem to duplicate the problem. I thought maybe she had the 'Show Desktop Icons' unchecked. What it appears to be is the GUI is not loading. I would like to fix this rather than reimage her PC.

Re: Different XP Boot Issue

Will need more info. Event logs, drivers up to date, roamin profiles, windows updates installed, join the user one morning before she starts to see the issue etc.
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

I've seen this before, I had it on a laptop running XP Home. Explorer.exe is hanging on boot.

Sadly it happens very randomly and I never could find a reason for it. I was upgrading to XP Pro anyway and that fixed it.

One thing that did work for me as a temporary workaround and an alternative to rebooting until it worked was hitting ctrl-alt-del and running task manager. Then right click on explorer on the processes tab and kill the process tree. Sometimes explorer will come up and sometimes I had to go to File, New Task (Run) and manually launch explorer.exe from within Task Manager.

The info AndyJG247 requested may well help though, in a domain environment there's a good possibility there's profile corruption or something similar.
      BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
      sigpic
      Cruachan's Blog

Comment

It doesn't seem to me that you have enough information to really tell what the problem is. AndyJG247's recommendation is probably correct. You will need to see her log in to truly appreciate what is going on. There's no point in guessing what the user is reporting - much better to take a look.

Although I suspect that explorer.exe is hanging on startup it could be something else. Once you've got the pc up and running do some simple checks: check what's in the start up folder, look for any scheduled jobs etc... Log into the PC as a different user and see what comes up on the screen (is it quicker?). A lot of this sort of basic checking can tell you a lot about your user has done to their machine. I'd also run MSConfig and take a look at what is running on startup.

Comment

Also look at the machine event logs - most crashes or other errors will cause something to be written there.

Is Windows up to date?
          Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I am still getting other machines in my environment that are experiencing the same issue. I have re-imaged two already and on of my co-workers did 18.

Those are still running fine.

I have looked through event viewer and have not really found anything that helped me diagnose this problem. It is not wide spread, but the machines that have the problem are identical in symptoms. I have scoured the net in hopes of finding a solution with little luck.
            This forum has some very smart techs from what I have seen so far. I am putting the question back out there…………….HELP !!!!

Comment

As Andy and I both asked: is Windows up to date on the machines in question - is it running the latest Service Pack, and have you installed all updates since the latest SP.
              Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Yes.
                As a matter of fact, another tech that sits next to me had the same issue and today ran SP3 and all the latest updates for today. He still has the problem.

Comment

Working...
                X