Upgrading from 2000 to XP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading from 2000 to XP

Please can someone advise me on how I can upgrade from Windows 2000 to Windows XP Pro.
    Can I install Windows XP on top of Windows 2000 or will I require an upgrade disc rather than a full version disc ?

I want to avoid formatting my hard drive if I can.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Upgrading from 2000 to XP

You can do an in place upgrade with most XP disks. Some disks, notably OEM versions that I've seen, do not allow upgrade and you need to do a clean install.

My personal preference however is not to do upgrades, as there is always residual junk left over from the original OS.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Cruachan, thanks for the lightening quick response to my post.

I think I'll go for the clean install option, as you said there's always junk carried over from the original OS.

Thanks again for your help.

Comment

From bitter experience:
        Make sure you download all the relevant drivers before you do the fresh install. Its a bit embarassing needing to download your LAN card driver afterwards!
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Ditto raid/ahci drivers..
          cheers
          Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

My own preference would be to do a clean install. While you are doing that you have the opportunity to clean up your disks and put things in order. I like to keep data far away from the OS (for example) as it's less hassle when you come to do further reinstalls (which we all have to do from time to time).

Comment

Working...
            X