Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP Boot Issue

Hi ,
    Have a well known issue which Im hoping one of you genius's can help me out.
    I have a sata hdd that is installed in my laptop and running xp pro and a lot of other 3rd party applications.
    I really do not want to reinstall windows on this drive and start from scratch as will be a complete nightmare.
    I have purchased a usb external chasis for this notebook hard drive and want to boot off it.

Obviously i cannot as it was installed in the sata bay and now have the drive in the usb bay but blue screens and wont boot. Is there any way to do a fix that will allow me to now boot this drive via usb as it was originally installed as sata.

Please help
    Thanks
    Rob

Re: XP Boot Issue

You could try repairing the installation... maybe if you told us what the blue screen said?

Question: what problem are you having that would require reinstalling Windows, and how does moving the boot volume to a USB device fix it?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

More info is needed but almost certainly not. I'd expect the Blue Screen code to be 0x0000007B unmountable boot volume. An internal SATA drive will (likely) have AHCI enabled by default and thus require an AHCI/RAID driver for XP to see it during setup. Connecting this drive via a different interface usually means that XP can read the boot partition but fails almost straight away.

Sadly it's an XP limitation, Vista is much more robust about such things. Mind you AHCI was pretty much unheard of when XP first shipped 7 years ago.
      BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
      sigpic
      Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Im not sure if i made myself entirely clear.
        Basically i have a vista machine but also a second hard drive that i put in when i need to be on xp as i have a special software package that doesnt run on vista
        problem is i need alot of disc space so dual boot is not a good idea
        als virtual pc not good as my software is resource and vga hungry. so i want to be able to boot off my xp drive via usb but obvoisuly wont work and wanted to find out if anyone has a fix.
        Thanks
        Rob

Comment

As previously mentioned, it is unlikely that you will be able to 'fix' this, but one way may be to perform a repair of the installation. However, this is by no means guaranteed to work.
          Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

You can boot off an external USB drive if the PC's BIOS supports it. Check the boot order in your BIOS and also check that it's up to date.
            If the information you receive helps please let us know and leave reputation points where appropriate.

The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do. - Ted Nelson

Comment

@g00ner: the problem being described is that the XP installation bluescreens when trying to boot it. This is because it was installed onto a SATA hard drive, which is now connected via USB.
              Gareth Howells

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
                @g00ner: the problem being described is that the XP installation bluescreens when trying to boot it. This is because it was installed onto a SATA hard drive, which is now connected via USB.
                Oh yeah - should have read the post properly!!

Wickeddog needs to buy a SATA to USB adapter then.
                If the information you receive helps please let us know and leave reputation points where appropriate.

The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do. - Ted Nelson

Comment

Originally posted by g00ner View Post
                  Oh yeah - should have read the post properly!!

Wickeddog needs to buy a SATA to USB adapter then.
                  Agree with the first statement

He already HAS a SATA to USB adaptor, just can't boot off it
                  Tom Jones
                  MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Slipstream the SATA drivers into an XP CD and then do a Repair (2nd Repair option). I would suggest using nLite http://www.nliteos.com/download.html to slipstream the SATA drivers as it is idiot proof. The HDD could then be put back into the laptop while this proceedure is done as there would not be any need for the USB enclosure.

This post is made on the premise that I have understood what is required.
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                    X