Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'Install updates and shutdown' from a script?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Install updates and shutdown' from a script?

Afternoon all,

At present, our machines are all shutdown automatically via a scheduled task on one of the servers. We use psshutdown to achieve this. This gives us a window after everybody logs out to schedule maintenance on the machines before they are shut down for the night.

Prior to this, we instructed users to shut down their system every night, and to select "Install updates and shutdown" if that option was available. Now that the machines are shutdown automatically, this is not happening and the machines are not installing some updates.

Does anybody know of a way I can perform a remote shutdown of Windows XP machines, instructing the machine to install any available updates first? We would want it to be a command line (or at least, command line driven) app that we could use in the shutdown script and ideally we would not want to install a client on the workstations. So far my research has not led me to anything that can do what we want.

Background:

SBS2003 domain with XP SP3 clients.
    WSUS 3.0 used to distribute updates.

Please let me know if there's any more detail required.

Thank you everyone
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Re: 'Install updates and shutdown' from a script?

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
    Does anybody know of a way I can perform a remote shutdown of Windows XP machines, instructing the machine to install any available updates first?
    Would Windows Update Agent's API be of any help?

There is a sample script at MSDN that queries updates and offers to install them: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa387102(VS.85).aspx

Tweak the script a bit and create a shell object, call the shutdown command and you should be all set.

-vP

Comment

That looks promising. Thanks for the suggestion
      Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Similar Thread
        http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=20254

\Rems

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
        and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Hadn't seen that one. Thanks for the link
          Gareth Howells

Comment

Working...
          X