Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Software Installation Issue

Hello,

I have a Dell XPS 630i desktop, it has the default drive config of C drive being the recovery partition and E drive being the Data (OS) partition. I seemingly have a problem installing a piece of software to the machine. The install seemingly works, or at least runs but sits there for hours on end saying it is installing but it never does. I have manage to install all other software / drivers for the machine no problem, but a colleague mentioned a similar experience in the past with the same type of machine / setup which was resolved by removing the recovery partition. I don't have this option as the machine is currently in use by the end user. I am sure there must be a solution to this issue, has anyone seen anything similar before and maybe found a fix? I can't find too much on google, but it's not easy to search for.

TIA

Re: Software Installation Issue

You could try installing a different version of the same software, and see if that helps.
    Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
    I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
    MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

What is the software you're trying to install? It's possible that the standard of coding is poor enough for it not to recognise that you want to install it to a drive other than the C drive, particularly if it has detected a C drive. Probably best to contact the software manufacturer for a patch.
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Hi,

The software is Adobe Creative Suite (The first version) so it may be possible that this is the cause as you mention.

Thanks

Comment

Possibly, although it'd be unusual for Adobe to release something that buggy. Even so, contact Adobe to see what they say.
          Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by UKG View Post
            Hi,

The software is Adobe Creative Suite (The first version) so it may be possible that this is the cause as you mention.

Thanks
            Check the specs the software requires. Don't knowabout CS1, but CS2 needed 512MB RAM or it wouldn't install, CS3, 1GB and I believe CS4 is 2GB. There was also some other info about minimum CPU requirements as well.
            Last edited by biggles77; 7th December 2008, 16:57. Reason: fix typo
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

No problem on specs of machine...

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Q6600 (2.40Ghz), 4GB DDR2 @ 800MHZ, 1TB 7200RPM/16MB Databurst Cache ATI-3870 512MB Video.

Comment

Working...
              X