WinXpPro won't use Netgear print srvr

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WinXpPro won't use Netgear print srvr

I just upgraded to WinXpPro from Win2kPro. I was successfully using a Netgear PS101 print server (PS - gotta keep them cool!) on my net w/several Win2kPro computers.
    Now Xp won't recognize or establish a link to it. The 2k's still work fine. I am still using an HP810c printer (at least until these $$$ print carts go empty), and the driver is supposed to be OK for Xp. Anybody else use these little servers?

Re: WinXpPro won't use Netgear print srvr

See if the XP firewall is blocking it?
    Install the latest driver. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...&submit=Go%20 although the driver should built-in to XP.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I used one with XP a while back. The client software for it is not built into the OS. Download the latest software from Netgear (IIRC there are 2 different versions of the product, so make sure you get the right version) and it should install without issue. If it doesn't reboot the PS101 to see if that helps.
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I was actually refering to the printer driver built-in. Didn't make it very clear did I! Last time I used a Netgear Print Server there was nothing to install except the print driver.

Now that I have taken the time to actually look at the product, this is similar to the ones I was using. It did like to cause problems which a power cycle (as per Gareth's comment) fixed .
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

In all honesty, while the PS101 works fine once it's setup, getting it setup and getting machines to recognise it was a pain in the sitdown in my experience. It ran incredibly hot, even with a modded case (plenty of vent holes, and a PoE cooling fan - epic win) which is something I don't like hardware to do. Depending on budget you may want to invest in something a little more up to date - after all the PS101 was released quite some time ago.
          Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Thanks guys. I suspected that, but didn't know they accepted 'drivers' onboard. Gotta try that when I get back there.
            I know they run hot - ran a fan on the first one to keep it live, removed covers on another, added sinks on the rest - but they are so neat and are simple and cheap and work well if kept cool.
            Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
            X