Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

User can't print to a USB printer that works fine for others?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• User can't print to a USB printer that works fine for others?

Evening all.

Our receptionist has a USB printer on her machine for her to print labels etc. The printer itself works perfectly - if I connect it to my PC, or if I logon to hers as myself, it works fine. NB this is me logging on as me, not as my domain admin account, and I am not a local admin.

If the receptionist logs into her PC, the printer doesn't work. I'll post back shortly with specific symptoms (once she goes home) - from memory, the error LED lights on the printer and a bubble pops up saying that the print job failed.

With that in mind, I'm left thinking that it's a problem with her profile. I've removed the local copy of her profile from the machine twice already, so if it *is* the profile then it's the server copy thats borked.

Does anybody have any thoughts on things to try?

Basic background info:

Windows XP Pro SP3 in a domain environment.

Printer is the HP LaserJet P1005, we've tried the drivers on the CD and the latest version from the HP website.

No clues in the event logs. Print jobs fail from every application, including plaintext from Notepad, or printer test pages.

The receptionist is a domain user. I am a domain user and also a member of Remote Desktop Users on the machine. While I highly doubt that would affect anything, I will be trying that on her machine with her account soon.
    Last edited by gforceindustries; 25th November 2008, 17:01.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Re: User can't print to a USB printer that works fine for others?

I don't know the excact model printer. But some labelprinters are pretty annoing about papersize, ie. brothers (I dont know about their new models).

Can she edit the printersettings locally? ie. for papersetting, dataformat, etc.?
    Best regards,
    Carsten.

Comment

It's not a label printer.

She can access the printer settings dialog, naturally some options aren't available as she isn't an administrator.
      Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Gee.. Thought it was a labelprinter - Sorry for interrupting your topic.
        I will crawl back in my hole.
        Best regards,
        Carsten.

Comment

cs.dk - I think it wasn't said as criticism

gs - which profile was used to install the printer out of interest?
          Can she log onto your machine and use it when you install it there to test?
          cheers
          Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
            It wasn't, but I apologise if it came accross that way.

gs - which profile was used to install the printer out of interest?
            Can she log onto your machine and use it when you install it there to test?
            It was installed as the (renamed) domain Administrator account.

She hasn't tried on my machine - I go to lunch for an hour and tell her to try it while I'm away, and naturally she doesn't. I hate users.
            Gareth Howells

Comment

I know
              Best regards,
              Carsten.

Comment

Hate users? Don't we all!

Sounds a lot like her profile I have to say but will see.
                cheers
                Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Agreed. I'm about to VPN back in (got kicked out on time tonight, wish they'd do that more often sometimes ) to play around.
                  Gareth Howells

Comment

Can you create a new testuser, then log on with that new useraccount to her computer.
                    Does the new user also have problems with printing to the usb print device?

\Rems

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
                    and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

All other users including a new test user, the local administrator and all other domain users can use the printer with no problems. Removing the local copy of her roaming profile from the machine doesn't fix it, so the problem must lie somewhere in her profile on the server. I am open to the possibility of scrubbing her profile and starting again but I'd really like to find out just what has gone wrong. And if that means I can fix it without trashing her profile, then even better

I'm pretty sure there's no registry key in HKLM called "don't print to USB printers to really hack off the IT guys", but can anybody suggest any settings in particular that I could try fiddling with?
                      Gareth Howells

Comment

Well with HKLM all users would have that issue.
                        Simple replace the user profile and this should probably fix it
                        Marcel
                        Technical Consultant
                        Netherlands
                        http://www.phetios.com
                        http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Sorry, meant HKCU.

I am aware that giving her a new profile would fix the problem, but I would prefer to dig a bit deeper and see if I can figure out what went wrong.
                          Gareth Howells

Comment

Well probably somewhere in the ntuser.dat but you won't find it.
                            Also before you find it, it will be probably escalated and you can fix it within minutes.
                            Marcel
                            Technical Consultant
                            Netherlands
                            http://www.phetios.com
                            http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                            "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                            "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Most likely. Windows is a bit of a bugger sometimes

Still, if the users didn't have something to whinge about... wait... that'll never happen
                              Gareth Howells

Comment

Working...
                              X