MSAccess 2000 file permissions & ownership

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSAccess 2000 file permissions & ownership

I have a XP Pro PC that has an Access 2000 DB used by several Domain users locally. The DB is used by the current user logged in to the computer. The problem is that unless these users are given local admin rights the next person to login has no access to the DB. The previous user has assumed ownership of the DB and all inherited folder permissions have been removed. I have tried creating a local group containing these domain users and given the group Full access. I've even tried this with the individual users with the same results. Is there any way to solve the issue without giving the domain users local admin rights to the PC?

Re: MSAccess 2000 file permissions & ownership

What is the full path to the file?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

c:\Program Files\#### Access 2000\####2000\####.mdb

The folder "#### Acess 2000" is not inheriting from "Program Files". But lower folders are set to inherite from "#### Access 2000" folder. The DB file loses it's inheritance after the DB is closed by the current user and they take ownership of the DB.

Comment

Try moving it somewhere other than in Program Files. As you're running in a domain, why not store it in a share on the server?
        Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

According to the programmers this DB is used to report against another DB and needs to be installed locally. I had thought about moving the DB to another location but didn't think it would make much difference since the inheritance was holding except for the actual DB itself. I would want to build a test scenario before interrupting production for an extended period of time. But if you think it will make a difference I can. There are 8-10 different users that access this DB individually on three different shifts that goes 7 days a week.

Comment

Test it away from the production environment before you change anything, but if it does break anything you can easily move it back. In general though you would want to store files like this, which standard users modify, out of the Program Files tree.
            Gareth Howells

Comment

Working...
            X